dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Once threatened by a Lawsuit concerning domain name - don't want to make the same...

Once threatened by a Lawsuit concerning domain name - don't want to make the same...

I was once threatened by a Lawsuit concerning a domain name that I owned - and I don't want to make the same mistake. So therefore, I want to make sure I have my bases covered.

A couple years ago, I had an old website with only a couple articles on it. It was about the medication - Klonopin. I bought a domain name beforehand - and it had the name of the medication within it. About a year later, a company from San Fran who had just trademarked the word "Klonopin" - sent a cease and desist letter to me...saying that if I didn't release the domain name, they would sue me. So I took everything off the website and I believe I let it expire since the domain name was within a few weeks to expire anyway.

Currently, I am thinking about creating a blog about personal finance. I don't really have a domain name as of yet, but when I come up with one...is there a way I can check to make sure that none of my words w/in the domain name is violating any type of trademark? I believe there is a government page where one can go and see if particular words are trademarked? Also, is there anything else I need to know before I choose my domain name?

Thanks so much...

Mark

There is no law to say you can't have a particular domain name. If that company or person has not secured that domain name for their use, they can't exactly threaten to sue you for having a domain name that they obviously want... Sell it to them for lots of $$$'s

Had you set up a domain name that was deliberately very similar, like you see hackers with social media domain names or mimic a bank, etc, then you can be done for misleading and if you earned out of it, then you can be done for possible fraud. However, if you set up a domain name, then thats just sour grapes on that individuals / companies part.
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

That was a really big mistake. You could (and should) sell your domain for good money, hat company had really not a signle right to sue you.

It was really a very big mistake that you have done. Without searching or knowing anything you just give them what they need.
    If they need it they should have purchased it from you. No one can sue you for a domain name that you own. If you buy a domain name that use the name of existing business and you use to exchange it with money then it comes under "Cybersquatting".

Cybersquatting comes only when you obtain a domain name in which the name has already registered for an existing business.

Thread Information