dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Fancy a project?

Fancy a project?

Some time ago I created a website that held all my exam notes (A level). This was my exam time project (to pass the time while I was resting from revising) and unfortunately I stopped developing it after the exams.

I recently went back to the statistics on the site and found that It gets visited a lot more than I was expecting. There's currently very little stuff on the site, so considering there's visitors now i'm impressed.

For this reason I'm looking for someone who would like to help. If you don't know how to program then this is perfect for you.

Hopefully with more than one person developing for the site it might stop me from giving up again.

I'm not really sure how you can help though, git hub?

If you'd like to know more about the site or me, just ask!

Hi and welcome to the site. You have not said what tools you used/are considering to use? I would strongly recommend that you use this as an opportunity to learn how to code properly in HTML5 and CSS3. Avoid the temptation to use CMSs, JS Frameworks etc...

Why? Because, although they give you almost instant results, writing bespoke code is the best way to produce lean, fast, maintainable sites.

Remember , you want you site to open completely in 2 or 3 seconds max.

To back that up
    https://blog.kissmetrics.com/loading-time/

Hey,
    I probably should have said. It's written in PHP, HTML, CSS and javascript. It's all written by me although I use w3 css to keep things simple.

It's a "fully working" site but needs finishing and improving.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeJuice View Post
    I'm not really sure how you can help though, git hub?
    Putting your code into a GitHub repo could be a good idea, both for the source code control/history it gives you, along with allowing others to access it easily. You can use the "issues" feature there to define any changes you'd like help with implementing.

One tip: it's easier to test locally if you do not use the domain within URLs for resources on your site, e.g.:
    Code:
    good:
    href="/foo/bar.php"

problematic:
    href="http://example.com/foo/bar.php"
    PS: You can work around having the domain there by editing your local hosts file to point that domain to your local host web server, but that gets messy/confusing.
    Last edited by NogDog; 10-09-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Right, perfect. Github sounds good.
    You'll find it here: https://github.com/JuggernautNet/WjecNotes
    Although i've not uploaded all the files yet. Do people just randomly find these projects and help out? Or do i have to actually find people :O

You'll probably want to solicit help. I don't think many people just browse GitHub looking for random repos to contribute to.

PS: Looks like there are a bunch more files to be added to the repo? (Git is powerful and flexible, which makes it complicated, so you will have a learning curve. Fortunately, you can do a lot of it via the GitHub site: https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/.)

I do most of my Git stuff via the command line tools, but use GitHub for pull requests and merges, as it's just much easier (and probably less prone to me screwing something up).
    Last edited by NogDog; 10-10-2017 at 09:16 PM.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Yea that's just the index page etc. I need to remove the passwords and stuff from the other pages before I can upload them. I'll upload using the website, then pull for a fresh project folder and start using the commands then.

Thread Information