www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Design

Help with Design

I am a programmer not a designer so i need some help or at least some constructive critisism. What do you think? This is my best design yet and it still sucks. It is for a web game i am creating.
    http://www.mystupidcrap.com/scott

It looks fine to me. I would wait until you've finished the programming to do the interface though; just make something useable. Especially since if you wait you might be able to get more help with it. If you can wait until after the 23rd I'll give you a hand myself, but I have exams until then.

thanks for the reply does anyone else have anything to say.... Well i was looking through this forum and i see alot of people talking about W3C validation so i used the validatior and fixed everything but it says im not supposed to have a height attribute for my tables, but if i get rid of it it completely messes up my site. Just wondering whats with that.

<tr><td width="100%" height=1 bgcolor="#5F5F5F"></td></tr>
    <tr><td width="100%" height=1 bgcolor="#101010"></td></tr>

Why oh why?

Here's one solution to your tables problem, don't use them for layout. The above code shouldn't even be used and should be replaced with CSS instead. Read "Designing with Web Standards" to help see why you need to change things around. You need a mere fraction of the code you are using currently.

Upon further looking because I figured you had it wrong, here's some code I found.

<font color="#cccccc" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="3"><b>News</b></font>

What is the word "News" really in this case? It's a header, so use a header tag, ie <h3>, and CSS to style the tag as needed.
    Last edited by spufi; 06-06-2004 at 06:10 AM.

Ya i know after going through this forum i decided to get that book even before u told me. Kind of ironic. Well once i get it from amazon ill read it and change the code. Well besides the code what do u think of the design how does it look.

The overall look is decent. I think I might add some padding/margins to not have the text so close to your borders. I'm not exactly sure how serious people are supposed to take you when your URL is mystupidcrap.com. I would at least try to put the name of the game in there somewhere, ie mystupidcrap.com/draglok/

I suppose a game site has to go for the obligatory BLACK look. It looks fine, though you need a decent logo.

Here's my best shot at it....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    zing

| Web Design and Development in Glasgow - 404i |
    | Blog |

Code:
    -. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.
    ||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ 
    |/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||
    '   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-'

mystupidcrap.com is just my temp domain. Its my friends server once am ready to start alpha testing the game im going to buy a new server and my domain is going to be www.PlanetDraglok.com

Zingmatter thanks so much for the logo its awsome. Ill keep it up there until i get a better one. If i do
    Last edited by BlackDragon1012; 06-07-2004 at 02:33 PM.

Anyone else have any ideas to improve the look?

Also i was just wondering for a site about web design. Why does the whole site use tables. Especially if you are all saying its bad.
    Last edited by BlackDragon1012; 06-08-2004 at 03:03 PM.

Someone please reply i need some more suggestions to make it look better. There has to be tons of things to change?

I can I suggest you leave a gap between the last line of text and the bottom of the browser into. Just seems cramped or something.

I think you have a slightly inconsistant use of fonts (...everyone else goes on about CSS and validation, I find myself moaning about fonts all the time, I need to get out more....). The log in box and the menus are in Times, the rest a sans serif (which looks better).
    zing

| Web Design and Development in Glasgow - 404i |
    | Blog |

Code:
    -. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.
    ||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ 
    |/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||
    '   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-'

Smile

Originally posted by BlackDragon1012
    Also i was just wondering for a site about web design. Why does the whole site use tables. Especially if you are all saying its bad.
    Because noone yet has come up with a thoroughly tested messageboard coded in strict CSS. That's why!

Originally posted by BlackDragon1012
    Someone please reply i need some more suggestions to make it look better. There has to be tons of things to change?
    [list=1][*]Opera shows a white padding around the edges of the layout.[*]Line break "Welcome to PlanetDraglok.com" into "Welcome/to/PlanetDraglok.com" to make the left bar thinner.[*]Make all headers bold (Welcome to...; Mail Center; Statistics; Links).[*]"User","Password" input fields could have a light grey bgcolor with bold white font color.[/list=1]

Opera shows a white padding around the edges of the layout.

Line break "Welcome to PlanetDraglok.com" into "Welcome/to/PlanetDraglok.com" to make the left bar thinner.

Make all headers bold (Welcome to...; Mail Center; Statistics; Links).

"User","Password" input fields could have a light grey bgcolor with bold white font color.
    I have never used opera but i have no idea how to fix it, but i did dl it and see it(didnt help). I think it looks fine without the linebreaks. I made the headers bold and i changed all the input fields. The input fields look odd what colors should i make them or are they good.

I can I suggest you leave a gap between the last line of text and the bottom of the browser into. Just seems cramped or something.
    I think you have a slightly inconsistant use of fonts (...everyone else goes on about CSS and validation, I find myself moaning about fonts all the time, I need to get out more....). The log in box and the menus are in Times, the rest a sans serif (which looks better).
    I think i fixed the gap thing, but i wasnt sure of what u were talking about. I made all the fonts the same and got rid of all the <font> tags which i heard are bad. What else should i change and thanks to everyone who has responded.

Now i changed the welcome to planet draglok thing but i think it looks worse... But whatever any other suggestions.. Please i need suggestions.

Thread Information