dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to find and pick a good web designer / developer

How to find and pick a good web designer / developer

Hi Everyone,

We have a IT recruitment business based in Australia and operate in a very competitive market.

We have a website for our company that we built back in 2010 using a free-lance developer from the UK and this website runs on Squarespace.

I have been trying to find a good developer to redo our website but it has been a very difficult task because the internet is ridden with both company and individual web designers and developers and the ones I have come across have been more or less the same in terms of credentials.

Basically what we need is to revamp our website so that it is user friendly and easy for us to post content (i.e text, pictures, videos, articles etc), it is SEO friendly to help us rank better, it is mobile friendly and it connects with our database so we can post jobs into it using XML feed out of our database job loader and also integrates with third party software for email marketing purposes.

The project itself isn't complicated but there is more than one way of doing things and for that reason I am trying to find a really smart developer that can find the best and most efficient way of getting it done.

I have so far posted on freelance.com and a couple of other forums and the trouble is that most responses are exactly the same in that they self-promote alot and most of them appear to be pulling a few templates together and wanting to pass it as a website and charge a fee. Also some of the others that I have come across have not offered any strategy on how they do it.

So the reason why I am posting here is to firstly see if there is a good place to look for the developer (i.e whether freelance.com is one of them) and secondly how to distinguish between proper smart developers and the run of the mill developer that may not be able to offer value for money.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated, I am hoping to pick up some tips on how to manage this project.

This may not be feasible, depending on your location, but if there is a large enough developer community in your area, look for meet-ups, users' groups, etc. that you could attend. I find it much easier to evaluate someone face-to-face as opposed to what they choose to share via electronic correspondence and such. Sure, you want someone with strong technical credentials and a nice portfolio (assuming they actually did all the work ), but it's nice to get a good feeling about things like dependability, how well they'll work with you and your team, etc.

IMHO
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    This may not be feasible, depending on your location, but if there is a large enough developer community in your area, look for meet-ups, users' groups, etc. that you could attend. I find it much easier to evaluate someone face-to-face as opposed to what they choose to share via electronic correspondence and such. Sure, you want someone with strong technical credentials and a nice portfolio (assuming they actually did all the work ), but it's nice to get a good feeling about things like dependability, how well they'll work with you and your team, etc.

IMHO
    Hi There,

Thats a good idea but very hard and labour intensive to implement. So unfortunately I have to find someone online and the best I can do for now is to speak to them on the phone or via Skype unless if they just happen to be in Sydney Australia

Would you know of any portals where you can find better quality web designers and deveopers?

What kind of questions are best asked to make sure that I am talking to the right person?

Have you tried upwork?

Hey there,

Upwork is good place but mostly people there are expensive to get. Like the average rate on upwork for hiring an expert is quite high. I would recommend you fiverr, because on fiverr they will give you more safety of your money and project.
    Upwork has almost equal rules set for seller and buyer but fiverr gives more security to buyers. I personally work there that is why I am saying.

But there is a thing, If you want a well mature guy then upwork is best place.

Ok, a few more questions.

Are you saying the developers on Upwork are generally better than the ones on Fiverr?

What is the general verdict about Freelancer.com? I have found majority of developers there are from india and had selected one to potentially proceed but I am not overly excited about the quality of their previous work (i.e some of their websites take a bit too long to load but they have said they will resolve this for me)

Are there any particular questions I should ask them when selecting the developer?

Also is it a good idea to ask the developers on here to look at my project and give me a quote?

You can post in the Available Positions forum here, but there should be no price quoting done in the forum itself -- that should be private communication between you and any interested parties.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Nice information you shared.

Thanks for your information.

Thread Information