dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Getting my team started with Git

Question Getting my team started with Git

Good afternoon,

This is my first post, so please excuse me if this is not the correct place to post this question. I've been using Git for awhile now, but now we have another developer and a designer on board, and we are all trying to figure out the best way to use Git as a team. I'm not talking about general issues like branching and merging, but more on the technical side, how it works with a web app.

Let me backtrack a bit here: for desktop apps, I can clone the repo I want to work on, do my work, push or submit a pull request or whatever; getting the code to run is no big deal, because the software runs entirely on the user's workstation; but on a web app? How would each team member work on their part? Would each person have to have their own local web server (in our case a LAMP stack)? Or is there some other way that works better? We are planning to use BitBucket for storing the repo, because it integrates with our project management software, but that adds another layer; where do hosted Git solutions like that fit into the picture?

It seems like there should be some standard answer to these types of questions; but if there is, it doesn't seem to be clearly posted anywhere. My guess is that maybe these things vary from team to team, and no two do things the same way? I mean that kind of makes sense, because a team of 3 and a team of 300 won't be using the same approaches to stuff like this... or do they? I guess beyond my specific question above is a more general question of how established teams do Git - are there any resources out there on the subject?

Thanks in advance.

Why use an external system, a good development tool will allow multiple users to share work projects and a few of them are completely free to use, you just got to search for them and look at what fits your needs, then you have no need for putting your project in a place that isn't that secure (that is anything in the public domain)
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    Why use an external system, a good development tool will allow multiple users to share work projects and a few of them are completely free to use, you just got to search for them and look at what fits your needs, then you have no need for putting your project in a place that isn't that secure (that is anything in the public domain)
    Guess I should have clarified: We're using BitBucket server (not BitBucket cloud), and we're going that route because it can integrate with our project management software (also not public-facing). Also the app we're currently building is not public-facing either; so there's nothing in the public domain. But that's not to say I'm not open to other alternatives, so if you have something specific in mind I'm all ears.

But my question was less about the Git hosting and more about the process of using it. When it was just me, I could do everything on the server, so my Git hosting and my web hosting were in the same place - there was no need for the Git stuff to be anywhere else. But adding team members kinda changes that... or does it?

Use git-flow feature branches, with limited access to main branches develop and master. People can create feature branches from develop, commit to these branches and after work is done you do code review, merge to develop, and when you do release, you merge develop to master. On you production web server you have set branch master, if new code is merged from develop to master you can simply do pull on your server.

Thread Information