www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Asp.net

Hybrid View

Asp.net

What do I need to download to get ASP.NET webpages to work correctly on my web server....I am running IIS on my computer now in XP Pro....do I need to download anything to run .net pages? cuz when I open .aspx pages in firefox....it wants to download the pages....also, should a windows 2000 server be already ready for asp.net or does it need upgraded to work.....and how do i validate html with asp.net code? does it have to be running on a server to get validated?
    Last edited by sirhcchris3; 06-05-2004 at 10:05 PM.

.net framework. It can be found here
    http://www.asp.net/download-1.1.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1
    If IIS is installed, like you said, it will detect iis and configure its self to run on a server. Have fun . Anything nt based with the .net framework (w2k3, w2k, xp, nt, etc) and linux with mono installed will run asp.net.

I downloaded the .net framework and when i load the page i can still see

Code:
    <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
    <script runat="server">

' Insert page code here
        '

</script>
    Last edited by sirhcchris3; 06-06-2004 at 09:32 AM.

set the iis default file to default.aspx as the top one, otherwise it sometimes might do that when it is like the second in priority and like say index.html is the first but you do not have one in the directory. Its a weird quirk, but does not seem to pose a security risk.

You'll also need to make sure the folder in your wwwroot virtual directory is set as an application.

Originally posted by zingmatter
    You'll also need to make sure the folder in your wwwroot virtual directory is set as an application.
    it should be by default. If the script is in a virtual directory make sure that the virtual directory is set as an application.

Access the page via localhost rather than its directory location.
    Though, i assume your familiar with this as you have experience with ASP.
    Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

yea....i got it all working just haven't had time to learn the basics of .net....thanks though

IIS has been fussy for me lately. It kept ending and giving me a dont send / send error report box but then it will restart you know because it is supposed to but then crash again. Had to uninstall it, reinstall, uninstall. I dono.... I decided to run a virus scan just because it is iis and it would be the target of many virii, but it came up clean... no viruses on my system as usual. But now it seems to not be fussy. When I get a sata hdd I will need to reformat so I will not worrie about it right now because everythign will get reinstalled another time in like a month anyway. I sort of have been living in the move for the past few months because i changed chipsets, changed hard drives I run windows on, got a bad windows install. I reinstalled windows 3 times in the past four months.

Thats pretty strange... Windows often does stuff lile that. For example, if i install MS Office 2000 -- my internet wont work! MS Office 2002 is fine, though.

Lol, well windows has its down sides, If it were not bad for gameing I would probably be using linux. DO NOT REPEAT THAT EVER.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    Lol, well windows has its down sides, If it were not bad for gameing I would probably be using linux. DO NOT REPEAT THAT EVER.
    you mean all of that?

Originally posted by sirhcchris3
    you mean all of that?
    yes, I would probably give linux a run for a while to see how it is for long term personal use. I can't guarantee I would keep it on my box forever. I have had linux boxes in the past though, they are just a huge pain in the ass to setup and get going, especially if one wants to game.

Thread Information