dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Do people still build websites from scratch?

Do people still build websites from scratch?

About 15 years ago, I learnt the basics of how to build my own website from scratch using html. I have been out of the game since then. I just want to get a feel for how people build websites these days.

Does anyone still build their sites from scratch starting with html? Or is that considered an inefficient way to do things? Do professional website creators build from scratch? Or do they use things like Wordpress.org?

I still start from scratch.

Its not a case of what others do, its about what you are comfortable working with.

Getting a decent set of tools is important, I use Notepad++, its my goto editor for many things.
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

chertsey, a small town s.w. of london, england.
    Hi there twelfth_hour,

like \\.\...

I still start from scratch.
    I use Notepad++.

In addition, I also abhor frameworks such as "Bootstrap", "Wordpress" and "jQuery".

When you learn to code, code, don't fcuk about.

Further reading:-

coothead
    ~ the original bald headed old fart ~

@twelfth_hour Mostly it depends on the kind and scale of site you want to build. Large scale sites are very rarely built from scratch. Smaller scale sites are easier and much more reasonable to build from scratch, though in my experience, most folks will still use some library / framework / pre-made CMS simply because they find building websites is easier with those tools than without.

What sort of website are you looking to build? And who do you want to build it for?
    Last edited by Jeff Mott; 11-22-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

chertsey, a small town s.w. of london, england.

"...most folks will still use some library / framework / pre-made CMS simply because they
    find building websites is easier with those tools than without."
    Not according to deathshadow one of our forum gurus...

"Repeatedly you'll hear wild unfounded claims of how "jQuery is easier", "Grids are easier",
    "Blueprint is easier", "Bootstrap is easier" -- and every time I look at these bloated train
    wrecks of developer ineptitude, I can only think that I have a slightly different definition
    of the word "easier" than the morons, quacks and fools promoting such drek. I simply
    cannot conceive of how any of these are actually 'Easier'!"
    Source:-

coothead
    ~ the original bald headed old fart ~

Some people (not many) use a flat html website, most now use a CMS and a lot of those will use a premade theme for framework. However design and dev shops will often build out a custom theme in HTML/CSS/JS and then integrate it with the CMS they're using.

I do web pages strictly as a hobby and FrontPage was the closest thing to a web page creator I've ever used. It's rare I would type up a page from scratch--mostly I would copy an existing page and modify as needed.

Hello,

im new here.
    Yes a newbie... "Hello World".

Stop! But im not new in this world, i developing things and of course, i try to avoid frameworks.
    The only framework that i use, is jQuery. Yep... shame on me.
    I was thrown in this JS world with jquery, jquery here , jquery there, jquery everywhere. Maybe, when the time is right, i begin to learn the real JS.

@topic
    I write my code from a blank pane in my atom.io editor (in my opinion best editor so far).
    Of course i use my own snippets and i never try to user to grab other snippets without thinking about how they work, disassemble into its parts and adapt it to my need.
    I want to know what the hell is going on there and why it is the way it is.

But there's one thing you should remember:
    If u start working in teams or in large companies (non dev business), you will never ever get a chance to avoid frameworks.
    What is going on there? Time is money!

cheers!

I think modern development methodologies are totally different. Everyone is using themes to develop websites because everything is well structured, it just needs to replace content and other things. One more reason to choosing themes over developing websites from scratch that client doesn't have much budget for developing a custom coded website that's why picking themes is better than developing the custom website which is cost effective and reduces the timeline for the project.

There are many website development tools which you can employ to create websites quickly and efficiently. But still there are people who prefer to create websites from scratch. I'm one of such people who practice this. I believe that if you create website from scratch you stay in touch with the basics and advanced concepts of HTML, Javascript, CSS etc.

I used to create my sites (let it be a simple HTML based site with several pages, or a downloads portal written in PHP) from scratch in old days, but I don't do that anymore.

In other hand, now I'm only making web-based apps, so usually I take some admin dashboard template (which already includes Bootstrap, Jquery, etc.) and modify it according to my needs. Saves lots of time and makes development easier, so I can focus on building features.

Thread Information