www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: A Few Questions ))

A Few Questions ))

Hey guys, hope you are all well.

This thread is just a follow up to my previous thread in which I was asking general questions on whether or not to study and get into web development. In the end, I made up my mind to go for it and learn. I have been learning almost everyday and made some decent progress (I think, lol)

I just have a couple of questions if you guys don't mind answering, sorry I am a complete newb and just need some clarification.

The first question is, regarding the way to learn code. I initially started learning on freecodecamp because I saw the positive reviews over the internet and it looked like a good place to start. As I progressed through the tutorials I came to a realization on the way its teaching people how to code. From my newb observation it looks like it teaches people how to "copy" code and doesn't teach core priniciples. Maybe this is what a CS degree does? So i am really confused on the best way for a newb like me to actually learn how to program. That being said, people on that forum said they completed the certificates on there and got a job..which kind of confuses me, do companies just want Junior Web Developers to know how to "copy" code and not the core principles? This is really hard to explain, I am probably explaining what I mean really wrong, but just need some opinions on this.

In addition, I was using codeacademy and was very happy with it, but I realised that some of the syntax was different and when I used Notepad++, things like "let" and "console.log" weren't recognized. Can someone tell me why please?

Finally, can you guys recommend some really good resources to learn from? I have been following "Thenewboston" tutorials on youtube which I think are really great, but I need something more.

Many Thanks guys.

See what you can get for free...

Getting a grounding in the subject you wish to study, take a paid course in, it would benefit you if you were to get what you can for free first, try to get a basic understanding for free.

No one taught me to program, I taught myself, I then took college courses in the subjects and because I did what I could to get off the ground, I hit the ground running and I was able to progress more quickly, just learning basic structure and syntax is a good start as is trying demos, have a look at what information resources you can find by a search but be careful as there's a vast amount of information that is no very out of date and I see it bubbling up from time to time, so see the popular sites in the listings, you should find this forum listed along with others like htmlgoodies.
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    See what you can get for free...

Getting a grounding in the subject you wish to study, take a paid course in, it would benefit you if you were to get what you can for free first, try to get a basic understanding for free.

No one taught me to program, I taught myself, I then took college courses in the subjects and because I did what I could to get off the ground, I hit the ground running and I was able to progress more quickly, just learning basic structure and syntax is a good start as is trying demos, have a look at what information resources you can find by a search but be careful as there's a vast amount of information that is no very out of date and I see it bubbling up from time to time, so see the popular sites in the listings, you should find this forum listed along with others like htmlgoodies.
    Thanks for your reply.

I recently found the Mozilla Developer Network:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...TML/Attributes

It looks like a good place to for reference, is it a good place to use? also does it work by people submitting their own articles? if so, are the articles approved by someone?

Also, can you please provide guidance on my first question above if possible.

Thanks

MDN is the Mozilla Developers Network and it relates to the vendor of the Firefox browser, this is a very good reference source, some very good examples and the submissions I have no idea...

W3Schools is good for beginning and MDN for when you have a better understanding.Even if you don't feel that W3School can't offer you anything, run through it as its examples are simpler and easily understood...
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Thread Information