Thread: Looking for a new Website building program. Any suggestions.

Looking for a new Website building program. Any suggestions.

Okay. I am new here and although I have been building websites for 20 years, because of the advances in web technology, from when I first started, I would call myself a beginner in my understanding of how things work these days. In an effort to give you the the information to better help me, let me tell you a little about myself.

1. I have never built websites professionally. I built them for personal purposes for myself or for friends or family.

2. I started building sites back in 1997 with a program call AOLPress, but all of my website development has been done with Microsoft FrontPage 2000 and 2003 since 1999 when I went to Technical college to become Frontpage certified).

3. I don't not know how to write HTML code or any other type of code. Although I can sometimes read code and edit it.

4. I am old and learn slowly, but willing to try.

The reason I am here, is because I need help. It has been obvious for many years that I needed to ditch Frontpage and learn something new, and like a stubborn mule I refused to move forward until I had no other choice. It has not been that I did not want to move forward. It's just that every time I tried, I could not find a suitable replacement for Frontpage. What I mean by this is that I could not find a modern full fledged WYSIWYG program with a huge library of canned code that I could build with, without needing to write code from scratch.

At long last I decided to take the plunge and learn a completely new program. So, about two months ago I started building a brand new site with Wordpress. Needless to say, the learning curve has all but melted my old brain, but have been able to build a site to satisfy my needs. Here is it is. www.thejungleexplorer.com.

So why am I here? Well, even though I have been able to use Wordpress to build a decent site. For me Wordpress has to be one of the worst, most cumbersome program I have ever used. I takes hours to ad a single page to my site. It is also very glitchy. Worpress is more like an OS then a program. It reminds me of the Windows OS in that, it has some basic functionality but you have to add a bunch of third party programs (plugins) to do anything outside the basics. Many of these plugins are not refined stable programs and are in a constant state of being debugged and fixed.

So, I am here asking for help in choosing another program to try. I know there are going to be those that respond and say, "Learn to write code." Let me save you the time. "Learn to write code". There it has been said. Now there is no need for you to say it. I know that there is not a replacement for frontpage, and I am not asking for that. I am just asking for suggestion on a program that is more user friendly for new comers then Wordpress and a whole lot less glitchy.

Here is what I need a program to do. You can take a look at my website and see what I need. My website is a video and photo sharing site. It will be constantly new pages for each new video I make. This mean adding new pages based on a template regularly. My site is connected to social media account like Facebook and Twitter that I will share each new page with. I need my site to be modern and search engine friendly, which means it needs to be responsive. The site will be connect to Google Adsense and have Native Amazon Affiliate codes running on it.

Thanks for the help.

hmm, well I think you might just be seeing those issues because you aren't familiar with WordPress, plus you're trying to customize a free theme that isn't really built to be customized much without code changes.

I think if you went with a theme (even a free one!) that has some more customization options along with a page builder you'd have a much better experience. For example we use the Wordpress Astra theme and Elementor page builder. Lots of options and much more intuitive than trying to build your pages inside the WYSIWYG.

If that's still too difficult you can always go with a site builder like Weebly which isn't too bad these days although Wix is still awful imo.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
    Opened your site and hit F12, CSS in Console shows lots of errors.
    Selected the Network tab and did the performance analysis. 27+ seconds.

Just so you know.
    47% of consumers expect a web page to load in 2 seconds or less.

HTML errors

CSS Errors (206) Warnings (396)

Another analysis

WYSIWYG. What You See Is What You Get...

If you need to see what the page looks like whilst building it, then you need an editor with that ability.

It is still best to write code, allowing certain WYSIWYG editors to create the site for you can often lead to bloating with code from the editor that gets inserted and is not needed, I has an Adobe editor like that, it annoyed me that much that it was a fight to build a web page and I couldn't turn it off, so I abandoned it for one that behaved itself. Not sure about now as I use Notepad++ as my editor of choice (text based) You can easily test a web page for output (basic html + javascript) in your browser and get instant error reporting with the console log (F12) output in the log tab.

I found these WYSIWYG editors (and there's many types available) more of a hindrance than a benefit. You got to try a number of them to get an idea of what you are comfortable with.
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Thread Information