dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What's wrong with my website?

What's wrong with my website?

Well, I'm a web developer and have this personal website: http://gustavofulanetto.com. The problem is that I have tried to get clients on social media, and also on CPC advertising networks(the cheap ones) but no single one has ever hired me through my website. So I wonder if it's about low traffic quality, or there is something wrong with this website. Maybe it's about prejudice as i'm a latino american trying to get clients from U.S., i'm not sure... What do you think?

Wrong place to post.

** Moved **
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Possible help
    https://developers.google.com/speed/...php&tab=mobile

You have lots and lots of competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Possible help
    https://developers.google.com/speed/...php&tab=mobile

You have lots and lots of competition.
    This page tells me about a few issues with CSS and Javascript that the website has, but that's certainly not something that would make people not want to hire me...

Your English is a little less than perfect..Getting a proof ready to go over it might help. Here are a couple of examples:

Before-> Websites made by me
    Suggested-> Websites I have made

Small websites: $50 - $200
    Medium websites: $200 - $500
    Big websites: More than $500

Should be Small/Medium/Large....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Your English is a little less than perfect..Getting a proof ready to go over it might help. Here are a couple of examples:

Before-> Websites made by me
    Suggested-> Websites I have made

Small websites: $50 - $200
    Medium websites: $200 - $500
    Big websites: More than $500

Should be Small/Medium/Large....
    I see... As english isn't my native language, it's hard for me to be perfectly skilled with it... I fixed these

Good luck, but as I stated earlier, you have more competition than you realize.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Good luck, but as I stated earlier, you have more competition than you realize.
    Thank you, yes I know I have a lot of competitors, but I'm concerned about why no one is hiring me to make their website. That's what makes me think there is something wrong with my website, and therefore ask for your opinion.

... social media accounts that link to your website, not only in terms of identity but linked to your web service by email account.

Advertise in your local paper for a few weeks, hand out business cards at every opportunity, go to local businesses with information about how you can get these traders an online presence and more publicity, etc...

I would seriously advise against using any form of testimonial for clients, there is a problem with them for a start, a study showed that you can not rely on testimonials when the majority of them are fake, its one of the signal flares that goes up when I am looking to buy something online, if I see loads of testicle-monials (as I call them, because they tend to be a load of b*ll*cks), if someone wants to check up on your claims, thats their prerogative.

Years ago I was advised NOT to place my image on a CV or a document that acts like a CV such as your one page about you and that can be having a negative impact, for example, I went for a job interview with a company as a warehouse manager (in the days before the web) and despite my CV being accurate and honest, the guy opposite was basing his opinion on what he sees. So often a photo can be the decider before you are spoken to and in person, if you don't look the part... if you really want a picture... wear a suit, put on a more "Business look" to inspire confidence, like meeting clients, NEVER dress casually, dress smart because people expect professionals and people with certain skill sets to be wearing suits and it wouldn't hurt to get a decent picture, I do still advise against it, if anything you should have a full body shot and you at a set distance, let people see you but not a close up like in the photo you have.

I would also say that you could do yourself a lot of good by researching local charities in your region and offer a free web site with your contact details for development contact, only those with no website need contacting, it would be good publicity for you as it shows you are putting back in to the community and not just waiting for a pay day.

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    ... social media accounts that link to your website, not only in terms of identity but linked to your web service by email account.

Advertise in your local paper for a few weeks, hand out business cards at every opportunity, go to local businesses with information about how you can get these traders an online presence and more publicity, etc...

I would seriously advise against using any form of testimonial for clients, there is a problem with them for a start, a study showed that you can not rely on testimonials when the majority of them are fake, its one of the signal flares that goes up when I am looking to buy something online, if I see loads of testicle-monials (as I call them, because they tend to be a load of b*ll*cks), if someone wants to check up on your claims, thats their prerogative.

Years ago I was advised NOT to place my image on a CV or a document that acts like a CV such as your one page about you and that can be having a negative impact, for example, I went for a job interview with a company as a warehouse manager (in the days before the web) and despite my CV being accurate and honest, the guy opposite was basing his opinion on what he sees. So often a photo can be the decider before you are spoken to and in person, if you don't look the part... if you really want a picture... wear a suit, put on a more "Business look" to inspire confidence, like meeting clients, NEVER dress casually, dress smart because people expect professionals and people with certain skill sets to be wearing suits and it wouldn't hurt to get a decent picture, I do still advise against it, if anything you should have a full body shot and you at a set distance, let people see you but not a close up like in the photo you have.

I would also say that you could do yourself a lot of good by researching local charities in your region and offer a free web site with your contact details for development contact, only those with no website need contacting, it would be good publicity for you as it shows you are putting back in to the community and not just waiting for a pay day.
    Got it. As to doing work for free, sincerely i'm not interested in this at the moment because i really need to get money. I don't have a local job, only online freelancing, and I still didn't find a way to earn a reasonable amount online, I can only get a few on Upwork. As to the picture, in my thoughts it would look weird not to have a picture of me beside the "About" text, also my website show my Upwork profile, if I remove the picture on the website people could look at it and think: "Why does he have a picture on his Upwork profile but not on his website?". Do you think that picture is a big problem?

To GET you have to GIVE.

Free is FREE advertising of your skills and it would look good on your site if you have a page for charities that you have designed sites for.

So in order to get money, you will need to be looking at free advertisements because the people who run these charities have connections to many organisations that could get you a WOM introduction which in terms of business is a better deal coming with a recommendation than someone cold calling.
    Last edited by \\.\; 12-03-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Thread Information