dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: how long before able to earn money from web developing

how long before able to earn money from web developing

I am looking for a field to study that will able me to earn extra money but no as a full time job (something about 20 hours a week)

Ive searched for web developers freealancers, they all seem to have many years of expirence.
    I am not sure web developing is for me, so I dont want to put years of study before earning money.

my quastion is, for the average learner how long will it take to acquire skills and knowledge to start making money from doing something in this field of web developing? (I am not seeking for big cash)

would appreciate your advice

would like to add...I am not expecting to earn money after few weeks or months of learning , I am aiming for the year or two...is it possible?

Start building contacts.

Wait until you are competent enough to show off a bit of flare and skill before stating you are in web development, never say you are a web developer unless you have the associated degree for it, yes, there is a degree for web development these days. So you are "in" rather than "a" because then if people fill in the blanks like transpose "in" for "a" you can correct them because you are working towards your degree course and have already completed the required higher exams for entry because they don't let in any old tom, dick or harry (transpose names as needed)
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

As a designer you can earn relatively fast and easy , provided you have a creative eye , some marketing knowledge and get intimate with the front end languages of websites.

As mentioned above there is such an extraordinary amount of talent when it comes web developers ( well in my eyes ) i wouldn't bother saying i am one unless its on black and white. I can do alot of development but i avoid anything serious. Its also a field of very very high standards by nature. This is just the type of people good developers are.

I dont think you need a degree ( although recommended i agree ) there are too many free lancers like myself , and people by nature the clients are looking for cheap developers , so they hit up students , freelances and so forth. Many freelancers however do not draw the line where they say this is out of my scope , anf end up producing problems , in their product and the name of the industry as a whole....dont be that guy.

Time frame depends on you competency to solve problems, you network , time spend actually practising and of course tools for learning.

Quite honestly if its not something you want to get serious about , i wouldn't bother , there are easier ways to make a little money online that doesnt require this much intellectual investment.

People seem to be forgetting the biggest catalyst of all... "Building Contacts"

A word of mouth introduction from someone connected in business will do you more good than having several PHD's and cold calling a client and all the financial backing you need, it won;t help you unless you have a good reputation and that is where WOM (word of mouth) is king.

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    People seem to be forgetting the biggest catalyst of all... "Building Contacts"

A word of mouth introduction from someone connected in business will do you more good than having several PHD's and cold calling a client and all the financial backing you need, it won;t help you unless you have a good reputation and that is where WOM (word of mouth) is king.
    Whats that old saying ... its not what you know , but who you know.

... and sometime's its what you know about who you know...

Thread Information