My nice little website took a hit when, this month, chrome decided that audio could no longer autoplay. That it now requires an actual click to play audio.

I have an 'Enter' page that gets clicked to enter the site, and it plays (and still plays) an audio track. But in subsequent pages, where audio used to autoplay, it is now silent (in Chrome).
When the Enter page is clicked, it Plays 'aud1', which is associated with the audio track.

In trying to figure out how to get around Chrome's new setup, I ran across an article where a guy was saying that autoplay can be made to work in subsequent pages, as long as the first page is clicked.

"Mobile browser's ignore the autoplay attribute on <audio> and <video> elements. Stupid reasons include saving mobile bandwidth on behalf of the user and/or securing app store sales.
Audio and video elements will only play as the result of a user interactions (click, touch).
A WORKAROUND is to have a "start button" in your application that loads and plays an initial sound.
You can now play further sounds without user interaction by changing the source on the same <audio> element."

This refers to Mobile Browsers, but I'm thinking it may now apply to desktop Chrome too.
Apparently when the audio element is run, it saves that PLAY instruction somewhere and can be used by other pages. This sounds like what I am looking for, but I haven't been able to make it work.

This is the relevant 'Enter' page code and it works :

Code:
<div id ='autoplay' style="background-image:url(chenrong3.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; display:block;
			border:0px solid yellow; position:absolute; margin-top:45vh; margin-left:20vw; margin-right:20vw; width:60vw;
			height:20vh; font-size:3vw; text-align: center; vertical-align: center; padding-top:12px; padding-bottom: 8px; color:yellow;">
			Enter Site</div>

<script>
			document.getElementById('autoplay').onclick = function (){
			$("#autoplay").delay(500).hide(500);
			document.getElementById('aud1').play();
	                };
		</script>

<audio id = 'aud1' width="100%" height="100%">
			<source src="e-beginning.mp3" type="audio/mp3">
			<source src="" type="audio/ogg">
		</audio>

And this is the code in a subsequent page that does Not work :

Code:
<script>
		function play(){
		var audio = document.getElementById("aud1");
		audio.play();
                 }
		</script>

<audio id="aud1" src="6-banger-14.mp3" ></audio>

play();
To me this says that there is a function called play, and the function sets a var named audio which equals 'aud1'. it thens plays 'audio'.
aud1 gets an mp3.

play(); calls the function, and it should play the music. But it don't.

Where am I going wrong ?