www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Ti Yogi Bowmen archery site up and running

Ti Yogi Bowmen archery site up and running

Hi,
    I have the previlege of designning and running Ti Yogi Bowmen, archery club .

Actually no one else wanted to do it so I volunteered.

I have not validate all of the pages yet but I will went I get around to it.
    My main browser is Firefox 0.8 but I also check it out on IE 5.0 (?)

I am looking for a quick loading, no frill space to convey who we are and what we have to offer the archer in the Mid-Hudson River valley area.

I hope to go to ccs as soon as I figure out what I want to control and how.

However for now this is what I have come up with.
    If you feel like commenting that find with me.
    SeeYa
    Ed

Your logo is very pixelated. You need to get hold of a version with a much higher resolution.

The other problem is you use Comic Sans font which is not a standard font so other people will not it as you do if they don't have this font installed on their pc (lucky them, I hate comic sans, it doesn't make me laugh...).

I see in your styles that you have a font family: "comic sans", Times, serif ...either chose a sans serif font (like the much nicer Arial), or stick with a serif font (like Times, safe, dull, and doesn't render well at small font sizes).

Otherwise, you have a simple site that gets it info across without fuss or gimicks, and that should be applauded.
    zing

| Web Design and Development in Glasgow - 404i |
    | Blog |

Code:
    -. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.
    ||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ 
    |/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||
    '   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-'

Review

Well, on the plus side your site is easy to read... ;-)

I only wish for a little bit of variety;that's my taste, however!
    You have a lot of information to post, but I'm not sure if the
    tables are the best method of doing so.

I agree that the logo is too small - and very unclear.

Keep going!
    -El

Re: Review

Originally posted by LJK

I only wish for a little bit of variety;that's my taste, however!
    You have a lot of information to post, but I'm not sure if the
    tables are the best method of doing so.

-El
    In reading articles on what make a good web design almost everyone said to have a consistent lay out for easy navigation so that is what I was hoping to achieve.

I do not use alot of graphic you right, I will be adding some simple graphics to site but not right now. I need to get the site up and running. You will not find any flash or other plug-in type graphics, I hate wait for some dumb graphic to show up when a static picture would work just as fine.

I choose tables as the method of formatting because I could use a base template and revise it to meet the needs of the page.
    If not table what would you recommond??

I have tryed working with boxes and divsions and have not got the hange of them yet.
    SeeYa
    Ed

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    PHP Code:
    content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" /> 
    change ur code to
    PHP Code:
    content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" 
    and it validate
    fabioDRN.com

Ed -
    As you say, you just want to get the site up, running and simple for navigation: it's a learning process from there, yes?

Read here, there, and everywhere - and look at source code from other sites to get you thinking if you need more ideas.

(I agree about the Flash!)
    -El

Review2

Oh,
    Just thought of something easy you could do to break-up the uniformity: change the cell background color of the main areas you want people to notice - like maybe a color from the logo to help integrate it with the rest of the page...then the text color could be changed if you need more contrast.
    Hope this helps,
    El

Gike!

Hey-
    Looks like you've been tweaking since my first post - getting there! The logo looks much better, and the pages are a bit more visually interesting: great!
    How about some css styles for link texts and a thicker line/border once in awhile?
    (Just rambling now...)

I'm just going to hit the basics.

You have a partial Doctype which means some browers will go into quirks mode even though you have a Doctype.

You have two <style> tags when only one is needed. I would however, place your CSS in a file with a .css extension and link to it externally.

Start to use more CSS for your layout and start getting rid of the tables.

I'm all for minimalistic designs, but right now your's kind of screams that more needs to be added. Just adding some well placed color would be great. One example is where your logo is at. Since you are using a table with a border, there is empty space between the image and border. Define that area as having a black background and it would fill in the empty space.

Speaking of colors, my take on finding a color scheme, aka Spufi's Guide to Brain Farting Color Schemes, is this. If you have an image/logo, take some of the colors in it, and use those for your color scheme. It gets no easier.

Sematic markup is using markup that best descibes the information contained within the tag itself. Your markup fails a lot in this area. One example...

<br /><big><b>Are you interested in archery?</big></b> <br />

What is that really? Think of a newspaper and isn't that a headline? It is, so use a header tag, ie <h3>. Now you would have...

<h3>Are you interested in archery?</h3>

Header tags default to having spacing around them(kills the needs for <br>), being a larger sized font(kills the need for <big>), and has a bold font weight(kills the need for <b>). If you want to control who big the text is, how much spacing there around it is, or anything else, do it via CSS.

About your menu, the Taming Lists link in my sig will cover that better than I can.

I would move your form for further info to the bottom of your menu.

I would think about putting the tournament links under a header named "Tournaments" and then display the dates under the header. I don't see the need to have the tournaments be in seperate <td>s, or the need for the Pig Roast link to be a different color than the other one. I would put the tournament dates within a ordered list tag since you would be putting them in chronological order.

So is that enough for now, or do you want me to check all of your pages?
    Last edited by spufi; 06-13-2004 at 07:02 PM.

Not Found
    The requested URL /index/index.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.tiyogi.com Port 80
    some of ur links link to ur home pahe as http://tiyogi.com/index/index.html and i get a 404
    fabioDRN.com

I would like to thank all you for taking time to look at my site and review it.

I will be making some change that you have suggested.

I will look into create the site with css and the use of division. I looking into this once before but I had problems grasping the whole idea why to use division.
    As for color I will see if I can use some of the colors in the club logo in the cell background or some how in the page.

I don't know when I will get around to this right now I am trying to figure out a email problem.

Once again thanks for you review and advice.
    SeeYa
    Ed

Originally posted by TiYogi
    I would like to thank all you for taking time to look at my site and review it.

I will be making some change that you have suggested.

I will look into create the site with css and the use of division. I looking into this once before but I had problems grasping the whole idea why to use division.
    As for color I will see if I can use some of the colors in the club logo in the cell background or some how in the page.

I don't know when I will get around to this right now I am trying to figure out a email problem.

Once again thanks for you review and advice.
    ur welcome
    fabioDRN.com

Thread Information