dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Internet2

Internet2

A couple months ago I read about a national project involving many Universities across America collaborating to create a hi-speed network that would only use fast connections, and be a closed network for hi-speed educational uses only. The article appeared in Discover magazine I think, and the reporter made it out to be a pretty big develpoment. Apparently the project is called Internet2 and they successfully completed a transfer of gigabytes of data across the entire nation in some ridiculous amount of time. This may seem boring to most people (educational use only) but I'm interested. If anyone knows someone who is working on the project or attends a college that is employing the new technology, I advise you to check it out if you can. If you do, I wouldn't mind knowing how the whole national high speed network is going. I can see a national high-speed GameSpy network coming to life if Internet2 is a success, but then again I thought I saw Elvis at the gas station last week

It would mean that lines would need to be layed for universities every where, fiber optic lines. It would be very costly. It looks good until you see the cost of not using the existing cable and phone lines that are driving the internet today.

I just found the article, and it is made with fiber optic cables. The cost is approximately 500,000 per university, with about 117 universities total, BUT 2.4g of data can be transferred from D.C. to California in one second. The article also mentions a "Blue Room" some type of virtual reality room that allowed the reporter to walk through an ancient Mayan city, and downtown New York over the course of a few minutes. So maybe 117*500,000 is a little steep for a gaming network, but when I take over the world, I'll command it to be done

<geekdom>
    I can see it now- No more need to compress our movies and images! BMP's and uncompressed AVI's are the future!
    </geekdom>

Originally posted by mAthlete
    I just found the article, and it is made with fiber optic cables. The cost is approximately 500,000 per university, with about 117 universities total, BUT 2.4g of data can be transferred from D.C. to California in one second. The article also mentions a "Blue Room" some type of virtual reality room that allowed the reporter to walk through an ancient Mayan city, and downtown New York over the course of a few minutes. So maybe 117*500,000 is a little steep for a gaming network, but when I take over the world, I'll command it to be done
    Thats why I think it will never happen. Also the legal battles of laying the land on municipal and private property and potential need to buy the land... ugh. Just get each colledge on its own oc48 (2.488 Gbps) it will be fast enough for anything. Oc48 is a fiber optic connection. Large web hosts frequently use oc connections. Small hosts uses a t1, bigger ones use a t3, then oc3, then up the line in oc. Some use dual oc3 I have seen up to dual oc48.

Just get each colledge on its own oc48 (2.488 Gbps) it will be fast enough for anything.
    Bill Gates Once said that 256k would be more than anyone would ever need so don't be so quick to deny the progression of technology

Originally posted by mAthlete
    Bill Gates Once said that 256k would be more than anyone would ever need so don't be so quick to deny the progression of technology
    on oc 48 is just as fast as the speed you listed though , both are 2.4gps

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    just to let you all know - about 147 schools out in the western part of nebraska (cowboy country) got a grant to get internet2.

Dude!
    I'm movin to Nebraska!

Originally posted by Jick
    Dude!
    I'm movin to Nebraska!
    why?

you don't know? it's a party. don't you remember when i described the weather in your ?birthday thread? that and there's me.

sounds pretty lame.

Red face

yeah, pretty much. i manage to keep busy, though.

I work for the network department at my school (U of Portland), and we looked at linking into it through PSU, but I guess the money people decided it was too much for right now. Instead, we're still running everything through a T3 capped at 20 Mbps (up from 9 last year )

Thread Information