www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Calling on another page of javascript functions

Calling on another page of javascript functions

I designed a page which has a background that dynamically changes color. To do so, I had to write several javascript functions. I hope to incorporate the background into another page I am making. Is there a way to have the new page call on the other? I would rather not resort to simply copying the one page and pasting it into the other.

If you put the JavaScript code (and only the script code, not the HTML <script> tags or anything) into a seperate .js file, you can load it using:

<script type="text/javascript" src="example.js"></script>

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

Will the page still be able to start a function in the .js file when it loads, or will I need to call the javascript?

You can call the function onload in the body tag, or you can put it in the function itself.

As of yet, in my javascript, the series begins with function startshift(). This function begins when the page loads. In the main page, to which the script is being called, do I need to use a special code, because including onLoad="startshift()" in the <body> tag is not working. I recieve an error message saying that there is an "object expected." I'm assuming that it's expecting the function it cannot find.

Is there something I'm missing?

If you linked it properly, it has to work. You could also put window.onload = function() { startshift(); } at the beginning, before the function declaration itself. But if the body tag bit aint working, then the .js file probably isn't linked properly;

<script type="text/javascript" src="whatever.js"></script>

Thread Information