www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Simple Questions...

Simple Questions...

Is it true that VBScript only work in IE, and not other browsers? If so, why is almost all tech support & other ASP resources written almost exclusively for VBScript users? And why should I use VBScript instead of JavaScript for an ASP page if it's not supported by all browsers? I think that this setup is very confusing & misleading to developers. Thanks for any answers.
    KWilliams
    -----------------------
    It's the end of the world as we know it...and I feel fine

ASP is a server side platform that has nothing to do with browsers. You can use a number of languages with ASP - VBScript happened to be the most popular one. Personally I use JScript for my ASP projects - easier, faster, more power.
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

...but does VBScript only work in IE?
    KWilliams
    -----------------------

client side vbscript only works in ie... That is why it is rarely used. Server side vbscript is asp, it outputs html, not vbscript. The browser will never see a line of client side vbscript unless the developer puts it there. The language you use for asp has nothing to do with the browser because the browser never sees the code behind the asp, the server processes the code, hence server side.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. And I appreciate your quick responses.
    KWilliams
    -----------------------

easier, faster, more power
    What makes you say that?

easier: VBScript is a "beginner" language which syntax is overloaded, while JScript, javascript, PHP are much more close. Therefore when you do web development you do not have to switch your brain from one type of language to another

faster: Once again, JScript's syntax is shorter.

power: Regular Expressions are much easier to work with, bitwise operators, shifts, increment/decrement
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

asp classic in general seems to be a bit of a resource whore from what i have seen. I did not think the difference between jscript and vbscript was much performance wise. I never heard of there being a noticable difference since its all asp, it will run the same way, the server parses it the same way.

Thread Information