www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Files to be Downloadable only?

Files to be Downloadable only?

Hey!
    I was wondering, any idea how can I make the file (or image) to be only downloadable? for example, similar to the popular gallery script 4images (ex: http://www.tonyparker.org/4images/de...p?image_id=624 click on the download button and the file will be downloaded) which you cannot view the file/image url but you can only download it via the download button? I don't really know by which type of scripts I can make such a thing, so I am sorry if it belongs to another category.
    Also, I couldnt find anything related to this, Is there anyway to make an error in the browser which makes the browser unable to open the source code of a certain page?
    Best Regards!

Re: Files to be Downloadable only?

Originally posted by Shadabad
    Also, I couldnt find anything related to this, Is there anyway to make an error in the browser which makes the browser unable to open the source code of a certain page?
    Sigh.... you are bringing up the whole "can i hide my code from users". I am not going to go into detail, but here is an extract www.webdevfaqs.com

How can I hide my source code?

It is virtually impossible to make your source code unassailable. Nearly every method suggested to encrpyt, obfuscate or make your source code invisible can be broken by an experienced user, and many methods cause problems for normal users, making your site appear much less professional and encouraging them to go elsewhere. Ask yourself: is my source code really that important?

To illustate, here are some of the main methods used for hiding source code, and their disadvantages:

1* Disable right-click, make access to "view source" menu option awkward, etc. Usually, these methods use Javascript (which means they fail for around 13% of web users), and anyway they can easily be worked around. Try adding "view-source:" before the URL in your browser's address bar - no script can prevent that. Scripts like this make life difficult for regular users, and do not stop a determined user.

2* Generate content through Javascript. This usually involves escaping the content then applying the JS unescape() function, or putting the content in an external file. Most comptent Javascript programmers can undo this, and it will make your pages inaccessible to those without Javascript.

3* Show pages through a complicated network of chromeless windows, framesets, etc. Again, this can relatively easily be cracked, but the numerous browser/version differences mean it limits who can use your site and causes serious accessibility issues.

No doubt other methods of hiding source code are available, but they almost always mean your page is in violation of accessibility recommendations, and doing that on a commercial site could be construed as illegal and US and UK law (the Americans With Disabilites Act and the Disability Discrimination Act respectively). It really isn't worth the hassle.
    The article is here http://www.webdevfaqs.com/general.php#protectsource i would read it.

Best Wishes,
    David
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

You can force an image download using a script such as this one by Ryan or one in another server-side scripting language such as ASP. This is not totally reliable, might be helpful.

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

yes, asp / asp.net, response.addheader to bring up a download prompt.

In addition to those view source methods, I can simply go the the disable button on my toolbar and turn off java script in my browser.

EDIT: Removed virus.
    Last edited by buntine; 07-27-2004 at 11:07 PM.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Originally posted by guest
    hm.. I have nice tool to do this
    There link to download
    link to .exe?
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Thread Information