dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: My Realty site.....critique my website please?

My Realty site.....critique my website please?

can you guys help critique my site? I know it needs some work. I'm no expert at design so I thought you guys could give me some pointers.

I really appreciate it!

http://www.cballiance.net/real_estate_whittier.htm

Design does not look good, change it/

Hire a pro.

Thanks guys, but I was hoping for a more insightful answer. Can you elaborate a little more about why you don't like it?

Vladdy is right, for your buisness, hire a pro. Many things make this site not attractive at all. One, the rotating camera is one of the worst animations I have ever seen. Second, your marquee at the top is horrible, it isn't even smooth, it leaves little color specks each time it changes. It is horrible. You need to change the whole top of your website. Also, just be experiance, real estate websites are all about the pictures, and definetly, class man. Your page has NO class. If this is a serious buisness, it is going to take a LOT of effort to make this good enough for your buisness. One of the changes you would have to make is to redo your whole site. My advice, hire a professional who will give you a quality, eye catching, accessible website for your buisness needs.

Im going to give you a helpful insight on what to learn or do. Lose the tables for layout and use cascading style sheets to layout the page. Learn to write semantic(meaningful) mark-up and also make a banner which is the whole width of the containing element.

Lose the camera animation as it is overused and makes sites look less professional

Now that wasnt to hard guys you could of gave them some pointers.

Originally posted by sharkey
    Im going to give you a helpful insight on what to learn or do. Lose the tables for layout and use cascading style sheets to layout the page. Learn to write semantic(meaningful) mark-up and also make a banner which is the whole width of the containing element.

Lose the camera animation as it is overused and makes sites look less professional

Now that wasnt to hard guys you could of gave them some pointers.
    So your advice is "Learn and start over".
    Learning takes time and the first site never comes out right. The result is a sub-par site that hurts the business it represents. Proffesional way of approaching the task is: do what you are good at and let others do for you what they are good at. Otherwise you end up being neither a real estate agent nor a web designer.
    For a personal/hobby web site, I would back your advice up 100%. For a professional web site it is different... there is a reason why "do-it-yourselfer" and "amature" are synonomous.

Originally posted by vinoth
    Design does not look good, change it/
    Originally posted by Vladdy
    Hire a pro.
    C'mon guys i know he asked you to review it but he's a newcomer here so go easy! Helpful constructive comments rather than being knocked back straight away...
    Vladdy i agree mostly with your theory but it's his choice and he only asked for a review.

Here's my review.
    I will list your main problems aesthetically and technically.

Aesethically:
    1) Your top image is not entirely clear. Maybe a brighter, clearer, and more attractive image would be better. Just one complete imag spanning accross the whole header rather than just snippets.

2)The spinning camera as Sharkey has mentioned is not nice eye candy. It's a bit unproffessional and aesethetically unpleasing.

3) The thick borer: the black border is pretty horrible. Maybe a 1pixel wide would do.

4) The gradient behind the titles is not nice. Maybe just a box around the headers or just nothing at all.

5) The site statistics in the bottom left of the page. Get rid, its offputting and gets someone in the frame of mind of a site full of adver ts and spam!

6) The lack footer. Corperate the blue theme to make a more colour comforting layout.

There are more which im sure the rest of the forum will mention.

--

Technically

1) The javascipt scrambling head at the top. Didn't notice it in other browsers. and it only works in Internet Explorer (i think?). Lost it, make an animated GIF or possibly a flash movie(SWF).

2) Lose the tables layout. Search this forum for CSS Layouts and tableless layouts. This will maximise SEO (search engine optimization) basically moving your page up on search engines into higher rankings. I'm sure your business would like the chance with this.

3) </font></font><font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="1" The above is code extracted from your source. Lose the font tags and start to style your site using CSS.

That is all for now im in a rush but if i have any other complaints, i will get back to you! Hope ive helped.

Best Wishes,
    David

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    get rid of this java stuff, thats a no-no
    consistant fonts, design using css www.w3schools.org (i think is the site somebody correct if im wrong) and php would help u with your navagation to.

Originally posted by davidbrent

Vladdy i agree mostly with your theory but it's his choice and he only asked for a review.
    The thing is, review won't help.

Vladdy i partly take back what i said as i forgot it was for a buisness and your absolutly correct the business could suffer from a badly designed website. But i do not take back the review i gave as if the user is interested he will try and learn some of these languages.

A straight-off "get someone else to do it" may not 'please' but it sure as hell doesn't 'help' either. A constructive review certainly will.

Originally posted by sharkey
    Vladdy i partly take back what i said as i forgot it was for a buisness and your absolutly correct the business could suffer from a badly designed website. But i do not take back the review i gave as if the user is interested he will try and learn some of these languages.
    Sharkey, I'm not arguing your review. My point is that it won't help OP in making an adequate web site for his/her business. What has been said about the site is all basic stuff that can be found in numerous "Modern web design practices" and "Top 10 things that should NOT be done to the web site" publications.

Now if a person is a successful real estate agent, his/her time would be better spent doing/perfecting his/her trade not trying to learn something that is going to be used once. Therefore my advice - stop wasting your time thinking what is wrong and how to do it better, but hire a pro to do it for you and concentrate on YOUR job. This is the CONSTRUCTIVE advice in this situation that HELPS a person better manage his/her time and resourses.

Yeah i know you were not arguing my review and as before i do agree with what you said.

Thread Information