www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: XML Web Services

XML Web Services

Woo!

I just spent ages getting some basic Web Services running. I wrote a basic calculator service and then used a Web Form to consume it. Its all very complex (and fun!), but i had to write a batch file to compile the .asmx file. Then i had to edit the generated class file.

Is there any standard way of attacking the compilation process? I have VB.NET installed.

Actually, i still cant believe i actually got it working without any documentation! Strange.

Anyway, does anybody know much about the importance of XML Web Services and why i should (or shouldnt) use them?

I have read some article, though had trouble getting the gist of them

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

I don't know what is with your compilation issues. I don't believe I've ever done a web service, as they didn't seem appropriate to my circumstances.

If I understand it correctly:

XML -> in order to have a standardized means of communication
    Web Services -> to provide access to data / processing resources to other systems remotely via a commonly used protocol over a wide network.

The nice thing is that a consumer just provides the input in XML, and gets the output in XML. You can recode the service to run faster or port to a different platform. You can use the service from a wide variety of platforms. The details of the systems making and servicing the requests don't matter, as long as they follow the rules of the interface.

Whether it is useful or not depends on whether the service performed is of utility to more than one system, whether the latency involved is worth it, and whether remote access is important. If functionality is of use to only one system on one machine in the same location, it makes more sense to build it into the system rather than make it a web service.

Ok. That clears it up a bit. Thanks.

Re: XML Web Services

Originally posted by buntine

Anyway, does anybody know much about the importance of XML Web Services and why i should (or shouldnt) use them?
    I have never needed them personally so I only have a basic knowledge of how to use them and all, I aggree with hammer.

Thread Information