www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: who invented

Lightbulb who invented

who invented the internet???? and why????
    my dream is to be a mod on a forum

Well a lot would say that it was the american millitary who first started networking computers so that if one computer got blown to pieces then all the others would still work and also so that infomation could be sent across quicker. A lot of companies used inTRAnet type things that weren't really compatable with each other.

I'm not sure who decieded to get all thoose intranets joined together into an internet but in case your interested the guy who invented html was tim burness lee,.
    Disclaimer. (1) Whilst I will help you sometimes, if I feel like it, and my advice in relation to your actual question will be of good quality: my posts are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I will be sarcastic, deploy irony and include obscure cultural references for my own amusement without warning.
    (2) You will gain nothing from complaining, and if you try to argue with me then you will not win. No matter how noble your battle seems, I am still better than you, don't be an hero.

A lot of companies used inTRAnet type things that weren't really compatable with each other
    It was the ARPAnet that was used before the Internet. For basic communication between educational facilities and mailitary bases.

Look what a quick Google search turned up: http://www.isoc.org/internet/history/

Basic summary: the American Research Projects Agency (ARPA) funded a company called Bolt Beranek Newman (now BBN Technologies) to link four universities together to form the ARPANET. This grew for some time and other similar networks were created, including NSFNET and JANET (two academic networks in the US and UK respectively). Cross-communication between networks became possible, and the combined "international network" became known as the Internet. Tim Berners Lee invented the World Wide Web (i.e. HTML and HTTP) as a means of sharing physics research in the early 1990s, and this triggered much more interest in the network.

Another note: the original purpose of the ARPAnet was to share computer time at universities. It was not military, though that came later with MILnet.

Adam
    "If youíre not using valid HTML, then you havenít created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isnít a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

Wasn't it some english fellow who's project was franchised into america and then distributed as original?

Maybe it was Microsoft...
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

Originally posted by davidbrent

Maybe it was Microsoft...
    nope, I don't think they can take credit for inventing or accuireing that one. They may have stolen some great stuff, but not the internet (only the most popular browser).

In about 93', Bill was quoted saying something along the lines of this.

"The Internet? Why the hell would we invest money into that?"

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

Maybe he wanted to get back for not investing in the internet, so he released a bug filled browser. Wow a new conspiracy...
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

I've always wanted to know, why is the code name for Internet Explorer "Mozilla" Did M$ steal the browser from Mozilla and then break it or something?

Originally posted by MstrBob
    I've always wanted to know, why is the code name for Internet Explorer "Mozilla" Did M$ steal the browser from Mozilla and then break it or something?
    No... internet explorer has been around for a while, mozilla is fairly recent, mozilla is the same platform as ghecko, and netscape 5 and on is all on the ghecko platform I believe, that is why mozilla and ns are so similar. Aol is also on ghecko. I do not have all of the facts straight so someone can fill in my blanks

But IE isn't ghecko, so why mozilla? And I though AOL used IE as a browser, some sort of contract thing. I'm confused x.x

No, aol might have, but I thought they always had contracts and deals with netscape, which is on ghecko. Where is this ie mozilla code name you speak of???

Re: who invented

Originally posted by luke0
    who invented the internet???? and why????
    Al Gore!
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumť, and consulting rates.

Ie definately isnt gecko. A simple $_SERVER['USER_AGENT']; will return the same string in internet explorer and the aol browser.
    PAUL JR. IS A GOTHIC

Thread Information