www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What program is best for coding?

What program is best for coding?

Just curious what you use to code your web pages. I've been using EditPlus but it's been quite a while since they've come out with an update and it seems pretty dated to me. I'm sure there's a better program to do it in. I don't care for WYSIWYG at all.

Any input on this would be welcome. Thanks!

HTML-Kit is God's gift to designers. It's by no means a WYSIWYG editor, its for hand coding, but it has color coded syntax and understands HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SSI, PHP, ASP, and others I believe. There are many awesome plugins for it, and I especiialy love the preview button which allows you to see the outputted page without saving. I configured it to run with my server so now I do all my PHP scripting on it.

Originally posted by MstrBob
    HTML-Kit is God's gift to designers. It's by no means a WYSIWYG editor, its for hand coding, but it has color coded syntax and understands HTML, CSS, JavaScript, SSI, PHP, ASP, and others I believe. There are many awesome plugins for it, and I especiialy love the preview button which allows you to see the outputted page without saving. I configured it to run with my server so now I do all my PHP scripting on it.
    As a person who has Edit Plus and HTML-Kit, I use Edit Plus.

I use syn text editor

Another vote for HTML-kit. Not WYSIWYG but fast imbedded preview with both IE and Gecko. For straight program editing I recommend UltraEdit over EditPlus because the last time I looked at the latter it didn't have something I consider an absolute requirement: reqular expression search/replace.

I always used HTML-Kit. I first got it about 3 or 4 years ago and have never changed. I definetely recommend it for HTML, ASP, PHP, etc.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

I am a dream weaver man myself (not the wysiwyg features). But I reccomend html kit as a free solution. But dream weaver is great for any server side scritping, asp.net, php, jsp, asp, perl/cgi, cf, all well supported, then it is great for standards.

asp.net web matrix is a fairly decent editor for just asp.net, its got intelitext and synax hylighting, the essentials, It also has integrated data solutions. Its also free. But its designed for asp.net only of course.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 07-07-2004 at 12:27 AM.

Originally posted by ray326
    Another vote for HTML-kit. Not WYSIWYG but fast imbedded preview with both IE and Gecko. For straight program editing I recommend UltraEdit over EditPlus because the last time I looked at the latter it didn't have something I consider an absolute requirement: reqular expression search/replace.
    Edit Plus does have this feature!

Im still with the great notepad.

Originally posted by sharkey
    Im still with the great notepad.
    I feel for you.

Anyway, I use the code view of Dreamweaver, simply because I've never found another program that I like as much for PHP programming.

Personal website http://www.ryanbrill.com/
    Business website: http://www.infinitywebdesign.com/
    TypeSpace http://www.typespace.org/

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

Its hard to find a good server-side code editor. Hmm, mayby thats a good idea for a new project.

I have a legitimate copy of DW MX. It's definitely the best program I've ever used for web design; even the WYSIWYG view is useful occasionally for sizing images and typing text in.

I didn't much like the free editors I tried, so I picked up a copy of Homesite 5.0, and I'm very happy with my choice. I haven't used anything else since.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Nothing beats Notepad but I am partial to Dreamweaver - codeview or not, once you've been working with it long enough, you can do just fine without generating extra code.

Plus, it's great for managing the whole site, updating links througout the pages, replace feature is irreplaceable (he-he, pardon the pun intended) - absolutely a must when you have to work with pre-messed code - for example, if you want to trash all the font formatting (so you can apply the stylesheet) you can clean up the code first by the replace command for all </font> tags with a blank space, and go from there, etc. You can see the improperly tagged source highlighted - great for when you have lots of pages to review, especially when they are not yours and you have to actually read trough the code. I love the source formatting feature - a real time saver. Once you done with your page in DW, you can still go over the code and nip-n-tuck here and there, but the whole process will take you much faster, then the reading/editing in Notepad (or writing from scratch).

Plus, it's great for writing your (or messing with "borrowed") PHP scripts, too.

In my opinion if you have small compact pages with all the formatting done via css, and all the scripts attached, and small websites - then Notepad is just what you need. If you have extensive pages and large sites - DW is a must to be used for codeview and site management.
    Absence of a result is a result, unless defined otherwise.

Thread Information