www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Signature Length.

Hybrid View

Signature Length.

I brought it up before and for awhile it was OK, but I notice that some signature lengths are getting out of hand again. Can they be limited to something like 255 characters ~ 3 lines???
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    All of the forums I have used in the past normally limit 4 lines or 300 characters. However, using vB tags, such as URLs, increases the character length of one's signature greatly. I would like to see a 4-line limit, however, it would change at dif't resolution.

I think the rules I have seen are 4 lines on 1024 x 768 monitor sizes.

Dr. Script

Yes a limit of 3-4 lines would be good as im on dial-up and it can get annoying waiting for large threads to load.

Well I wouldn't say that my signature is long, but it's 7 lines long and takes up 513bytes.

Is that long?

I'd also hate to have PeOfEo change his signature, I use some of those links every now and then.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Mayby if the signature is genuinely useful then there could be some type of exception. Though, that would cause confusion and disagreements about whats useful and whats not.

Anyway, I also agree that there should be some type of character limit for member signatures.

Regards.

Truly, it doesn't seem to be too long at 7 lines. And I don't think characters would be fair fopr people with tons of links. It would be difficult to set a restriction on this

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    perhaps if a mod/super/admin/whatever feels that someone's sig is significantly longer than necessary, they could pm them and request a smaller sig.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

That would probably be the best of ideas, although even this could be questionable. I owuld say to keep things fairest, admins/super to all users, and mods would only do so to people who seem to post often in the forum they moderate.

A user in the DHTML forum should not be told by a mod other than Andrew or David that his/her signature is too long, since it should not affect other mods. Then again, its not my decision, the reason I am providing my FeedBack, hence this forum.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by steelersfan88
    That would probably be the best of ideas, although even this could be questionable. I owuld say to keep things fairest, admins/super to all users, and mods would only do so to people who seem to post often in the forum they moderate.

A user in the DHTML forum should not be told by a mod other than Andrew or David that his/her signature is too long, since it should not affect other mods. Then again, its not my decision, the reason I am providing my FeedBack, hence this forum.
    agreed. woot for us.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

... anything to add to your power in the lounge hehe

lmao - i would like to see what the admins think about this (wink, wink, pete)

I had some more links that I have yet to add to my sig lol.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    I had some more links that I have yet to add to my sig lol.
    Oh no.

Thread Information