www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: free-cheap shop

free-cheap shop

does anyone know of a free or cheap online shop that i ccan set up to sell goods.

of course you can do ebay... but I have had no fun with that. there are many other online auction sites that fare about as well on my meter...

what kind of items are you planning to sell? I have an ecommerce site that I offer free listings on, but its for jewelry only, and you have to be a wholesaler or manufacturer with offices in the USA.

Also, you can setup a .net ecommerce site for about a grand, pm me for details. I am also available to develop these if interested, but its not rocket science, so if you have some skills, you could probably do it yourself.

Let me know if you are interested or want to know more.

Its a general misconception that Web Stores are cheap to setup and run. The reality is, to be successful in ECommerce you have to be willing to spend a large sum of cash.

The latest estimates are towards the $10,000 mark. Market research plays a large role in this type of thing. You need to make sure that you have a market before you invest in the Internet.

If you havent the technical skills, i suggest you purchase one of the EStore solutions such as the package offered at www.oscommerce.com

From there you should contact your bank and enquire about a credit card transaction system you would like to set up.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

Originally posted by buntine
    Its a general misconception that Web Stores are cheap to setup and run. The reality is, to be successful in ECommerce you have to be willing to spend a large sum of cash.
    especially in the way of making it secure. The developer needs to do his code in a way that will not let a hacker in, use ssl, and have the server configured to be hacker resiliant. If a hacker gets a hold of those credit card #s it can cause a whole mess of trouble for the buisiness.

as these guys say, I agree, except with the price...

I setup my store myself, including the credit card gateway with verisign and my merchant account, for about $850.00 US.

Recently a manufacturer I deal with decided he wanted to set up his own site, but he had no skills whatsoever to do this, he spent $18,000.00 and it took the firm no less than six months to deliver.

thats a huge range in price, and generally I dont think you can get someone else to do it for you for less than 5 grand, unless you dont use SSL or if you have some ametuer do it.

Now, my site is certainly not the biggest and badest, by far, but it has never been hacked (though they try many times per day) and those pesky credit cards get deleted from my DB everyday, and like I said: $800+- (not counting hosting)

I would spend the other $17,200 on google adwords or something.

I guess my point is... if you have the time and the skill, you can do it far under what the going rates are for hireing a team of developers.

one other thing you might keep in mind if your budget is low... I went to my bank with my business license, a business plan, an outline of what I planned to develop and they loaned me $5000.00 without blinking an eye. so, if you have a good plan, your budget does not have to be zero.

But if you do not know what you are doing you could pay money when someones # gets stolen. If you let a 3rd party firm come in and do the ecommerce parts, then you can go back to them and say my site was haxed, pay up, because a lot of places are going to have some sort of guarantee. I dont know if I would pay 18 grand, I would shop around. Infact you can probably find a reputable freelance who knows what he is doing who can make the checkout section and the card for a couple grand, because chances are some people have some premade scripts lieing around left over from other jobs too.

Geeeeeez! If I had asked the advice of this forum before opening my own online shop I certainly would never have done it!

No entrepreneurs here I guess!

First, go on over to OsCommerce and check it out and see if it's for you. The OsCommerce store is free as an Open Source based solution released under the GNU General Public License and it is professional looking store.

You do need to have some experience with PHP but you don't have to be a pro. Otherwise you can have them install it for you for a fee.

The OsCommerce site interfaces with PayPal very easily (PayPal account also free).

We use the Oscommerce shop for our online store. Check it out
    here.

This is a very good place to start and see how you do without investing a lot of money that you may never see again. If your business takes off, then you can invest in a merchant account and expensive bells and whistles if you feel the need to do so. If your business flops, you still learned something other than how to be afraid.

You will need to invest in a hosting account that supports MySQL and PHP. Many hosting companies allow their clients to use their SSL certificate or you can purchase your own. Purchasing an SSL can be a little pricey. However, if you use PayPal you really won't need SSL on your site because all transactions are run through PayPal secure servers so no sensitive information is entered at your site.

Hope this information makes you feel better about your ideas.

Good luck in your endeavor!
    FusionArtworks
    An Artists Portal to Creativity is the Imagination

pay pal is also a pain in the butt for general users. People do not want to sign up for paypal for one purchase.

simple shopping cart

if you want a very simple cart you could try www.html-cart.com too !
    Chris, Senior Developer,
    www.Chrisranjana.com

Don't let some of these guys think it is very hard to set up these commerce stores. You do need a little knowledge in PHP and such however they are business men, and we all want to make some money. Right? I heard alot of great things about Oscommerce and am planning to use them next with my next commerce assignment.

Popular Ecommerce options:
    OScommerce
    Agura Cart
    BCentral (pricey Microsoft) (nice functionality though if you check out demo)

pay pal is also a pain in the butt for general users. People do not want to sign up for paypal for one purchase.
    Pay - Pal has just simplified the process for this.

Exclamation

Whatever commerce software you use to make your site make sure you read all about any security issues other users faced when using the software.

For example, osCommerce has bugs as it is an open source project constantly under development. But if you just read the documentation on the osCommerce website, then you will beware of the bugs and the fixes that have been found for the bugs.

Very true. OScommerce has it bugs.

Many hosting companies allow their clients to use their SSL certificate or you can purchase your own. Purchasing an SSL can be a little pricey. However, if you use PayPal you really won't need SSL on your site because all transactions are run through PayPal secure servers so no sensitive information is entered at your site (another thread).
    If you want to ensure Quality then you can always choose BCentral and it cost $249 per year or $24.99 per month and it seems real user friendly plus your items can be listed in Froogles search engine. That sounds like a sweet offer to me.

Anyone have any complaints besides it costing a little money and it being Microsoft?
    Last edited by Intensity; 08-14-2004 at 11:39 AM.

No complaints, but osCommerce is free. Sure it has bugs, but because of its open source nature is always in development and improvement.

With open source software bugs can be found quickly, because of its accessibility, and then quickly fixed.

osCommerce is also very professional for an open source project and quite easy to use.

And with support for SSL certificates, Paypal and other billing methods, it is more than worth trying out.

I was also looking into Pay-Pal shopping cart and it looks quite impressive itself.
    Anyone have any experience with Pay Pal cart version?

Thread Information