dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Monetary issues regarding a job...

Monetary issues regarding a job...

Hey all, I'm new to the forums, but I need some advice.

I've been in development for quite some time now, and I got my third web dev job about a month ago. Now, the original contract was to build a site, promote and take care of it for 6 mths in return for $500 cash. Now, I was fine with the deal at first, but they have since made me COMPLETELY REDO the site 4 times. I have expressed my dilema to them, as I need to get a real job ASAP. They said to send in a proposal of how much extra I want for my troubles. Do you think it would be wrong to ask for an additional $500 due to the amount of work I ahve had to do for them???

EDIT: Hours worked so far: 56. at least another 30 will be required...

THX!
    Last edited by Lord Traith; 07-10-2004 at 12:00 AM.

What was the original hourly budget? Was your contract expressly written? You may have dug yourself into a hole if your contract was not clear. I would expressly define the tasks required to complete the project and the scope of work. Stick to your scope and let the client know what is out of scope so you don't get screwed again.

Approx. 8.92/hr.

The problem is, you see, that they said the last one was fine, but then they thought it over and decided 'we need him to build it all over again, because we hcanged our minds...' This is waht I ahve been dealing with. I didn't mind the first few times, because they were somewhat minor interface changes, but the latest request is an entirely new site. I want at least what they paid previously if they want the whole site re-done for a 4th time...

Hey, if they said the last one was fine and now they want you to redo it, then yes, 'REDO -- RECHARGE'.

Question: did you have them sign confirmation of last design or request that they send a confirmation email?

I call it the blue line. When we come up with a layout for a client, it's not functional - just cosmetic, we show the client. If they like it and want to proceed they must confirm via email. We also make them understand that changes to the layout (other than text) once they accept the blue line will cost extra.

COMMUNICATION IS KEY! BE CLEAR - EXPRESS TERMS BEFORE YOU ACCEPT THE JOB!

Imagine if you hired a contractor to build you a house with your specifications. The contractor builds your "garden tub" into your bathroom and you say "Gee, Id didn't think it would be that big". Are they going to remove it or change the layout for free? Hell No! Why do so many web developers feel like they are not worthy of getting paid like all professionals? Why becuase many web developers ARE NOT professionals. Many web developers are "newbies" and are not confident enough in their skills to "charge what they are worth". Get some education and knowledge about the service you are providing as well as some business sense before agreeing to anything. I know that succeeding in this market is difficult but for your own sanity, talk to someone who already has a web business and learn their practices before jumping into jobs with your eyes shut.

You were being ripped off in the first place. You should be getting about $25 per hour. Thats the amount I would have settled for.

Personally, I dont think you should have ever accepted the job.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

Aw man, Lord Traith--that job is a total upset.

I agree with buntine that you got ripped off.

Traith, you should definitely renegotiate your contract with them and set it all straight because web development is some tough stuff!

Wow... that's cheap... need a job? lol...jokes.

Well we charge our developers out at $150 per hour... and even our subcontractors get at least $40-$50 per hour, depending on skills.

First rule is to get a contract signe.. most web developers are afraid to ask for a contract (or dont know how to write or read one), you are professional... get professional, or you will be walked all over in this industry.

Originally posted by BeerMan
    Wow... that's cheap... need a job? lol...jokes.

Well we charge our developers out at $150 per hour... and even our subcontractors get at least $40-$50 per hour, depending on skills.

First rule is to get a contract signe.. most web developers are afraid to ask for a contract (or dont know how to write or read one), you are professional... get professional, or you will be walked all over in this industry.
    I totally agree with BeerMan

...I'm working on a contract in MS Word, as of right now and I've been working on it for a week already. I'm trying to make it rock solid. Heheh.

Yer, i up my original price

Now that i think about it. I was on $85 an hour last year whilst working for a development firm. It was basic work too!

Contact the employer and demand a higher hourly rate.

My rate is between $25 and $40 USD an hour depending on what I do. But I have not been doing much design lately... its my moon lighting, but my regular day to day job has been keeping me pretty busy, no time to moon light.

Here is a sample aggreement that you want work with and modify to your personal preference.

http://www.intensedevelopment.net/Ta...lancing.html#2

Thread Information