dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bypass Popup Blockers

Bypass Popup Blockers

Hey, people are blocking my ads on my site, and I only have one that popups per day.

I have seen a few sites useing a script to bypass my popup blocking software, and I was wondering if anyone knew a code I could use , ( rather in php or javascript) that would allow me to bypass a persons popup blocker, and show a popup ad.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Share on Google+

Well I hate pop-ups and I think you should die for using them. Don't bypass the blocker, pop-ups make people angry, people don't like pop-ups. Embed the ads on your page, it's a lot less annoying that way. But anyway, PHP can't be used to create pop-ups. It's a SERVER side language, not a CLIENT side language. It can send out javascript to open windows, but it can't itself open windows. Javascript is the only method that will pop windows on a page load/unload, and when JavaScript is disabled, there is nothing you can do. So again! Plus, the pop-up blockers have gotten quite advanced and so you'd be hard pressed to find one that actually works.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by MstrBob
    I think you should die for using them.
    Well I know where i'm not wanted, lol, om

Yea I know, but this one only pops up once a day, due to cookies.

I have got google toolbar, and Avant browsers built in popup blocker, and the sites I use, still manage to get through them.

Do you think it would work if I encripted the script that does it. This way the blocker wont b able to read it?
    Share on Google+

I don't think there's a way to encrypt it so that it won't say "window.open()"

Thats fundamentally what the blocker will look for & I believe the most important part in "popping up"
    Share on Google+

Aye, the programs read the source code, and encryption doesn't protect the source code. The browser must read the source code, and so do the blockers. I use Mozilla Firefox (built in blocker) haven't gotten any pop-ups since I switched. The point is, unless its a user action caused event, such as the user clicking a link which triggers a function, it's gonna be blocked.
    Share on Google+

Perhaps instead of an "onclick" occurrence...you try a "mousover" trick. Like if the cookie will only allow it to popup once a day...then have it popup when they move the mouse over your banner or something. The cookie should make sure that it only pops once.
    Share on Google+

There are lots of places where sites bypass your blocker. Thanks for yur suggestions, I just tried encrypting my code, and never worked.

I tried

<script>
    <!--
    document.write(unescape("%3Cscript%3E%0D%0Awindow.open%28%22http%3A//www.yahoo.com%22%29%0D%0A%3C/script%3E"));
    //-->
    </script>

and one other which still got blocked.

Any other suggestions?
    Share on Google+

Look, these programs act like a browser, if the browser can read the code, so can the blockers. If they can't, then neither can the browser so it still won't work. And, maybe you have I poor pop-up blocker, but Mozilla filters them all out for me unless I act to open them. And I mouseover might work, and if your only doing it once a day, MAYBE. That SHOULD get past MOST blockers.
    Share on Google+

Yah, I have one: Don't use popups. Noone will pay attention to them anymore, so they're useless. Text ads are the only ones I pay attention to personally, and what site have you seen that gets thru Google? I'd seriously like to know.
    Share on Google+

I’m with everyone else here: popups are the devil!

Also, it is equally a question of whether you should do it as it is of whether you can do it. People dislike popups, and I think they are very ineffective. Like Omega, I would pay more attention to a banner/text ad than do a popup (which, thanks to Firebird’s built-in popup blocker, I no longer get) — I have even clicked on some of those Google ads.
    Share on Google+

A site i was on recently stopped me from accessing one of their pages because of popup blocking. I had to allow them to go to the page.

you could do something like that if you really wanted a popup, although im sure most people would just leave your website.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by iniquity101
    A site i was on recently stopped me from accessing one of their pages because of popup blocking. I had to allow them to go to the page.

you could do something like that if you really wanted a popup, although im sure most people would just leave your website.
    Yeah, true they would, and I am not useing the popup to advertise to someone, it pops under the browser, so they don't even know. If you want to see a popup bypass your blocker, then go here. This is the site I have seen it on, and a few others.

www.theforums.ws

Edit:

Your right, firfox block the popups, but take a look at this.

MSIE: 83.77 % (107115)
    Netscape: 12.72 % (16269)

83% of my visitors use Internet Explorer anyway, so browse the above site, with a google toolbar blocker, and you will still get the popups showing.

Thx
    Last edited by Anthony2oo4; 07-11-2004 at 06:58 AM.
    Share on Google+

Some sites are excusable, like gaming sites when opening up the games. They're only for fully-equipped browsers ANYWAYS, so that's ok if js-disabled browsers can't view it. A <noscript> message'd be neccesarry, but other than that, they're pointless, frustrating, and annoying. I truly beleive pop ups are at least partly responsible for 50% of heart attacks.

Don't use pop ups unless you REALLY, REALLY don't like old people.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by Anthony2oo4
    Yeah, true they would, and I am not useing the popup to advertise to someone, it pops under the browser, so they don't even know. If you want to see a popup bypass your blocker, then go here. This is the site I have seen it on, and a few others.

www.theforums.ws
    It didn't bypass my blocker, I use Norton Internet Security and it blocks all popups and most banner ads. Those that don't automatically get blocked, I can add to the list But I got no popup at all, and I'm using IE at the moment too...
    Share on Google+

Angry

BAD POP UP MAN!!!!!! ME WANT YOUR BLOOD AND WILL TEAR OUT YOUR EYES.....wait, whats going on? Why am i saying stuff....help me from myself...
    Share on Google+

Thread Information