www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: safari and less used browsers

safari and less used browsers

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has a Mac that runs Safari, or runs any less popular browsers: I am creating a site for a client which uses drop down menus. The menus are transparent to show the image behind, so that the submenus look like they are dropping down from the image, but with Opera the transparency doesn't work. (I have successfully tested on IE, Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox and AOL)
    I have no access to Macs and would be very grateful if someone could check it out on Safari

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town...s/asbq19/test/

also, any comments on site are welcome (<noscript> content to be added before going live)
    cheers,
    Cate

Since you decided to post it in Accessibility forum, my advice would be to either use pdf format or delete that atrocity you got now, learn HTML, CSS and the principles of accessible web design and start over.
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

gosh, I forgot you were more blunt then vladdy charles lol.

Adding on to what charles said, your layout consists of image maps and tables, that is going to eat it on a non graphical browser. Infact I am going to take a screen shot of your site from lynx. Ok, look at my lynx ss, it appears that none of your content is accessible. Also even worse, the navigation is java script dependent. When I turn java script off in my browser I cannot navigate your site at all, this is excruciating because according to last years stats on www.thecounter.com 13% of the internet did not support java script. Keep java script to aeshetics and not to essentials like the navigation.

woops I didnt upload the ss
    Attached Images Attached Images

Originally posted by cate
    with Opera the transparency doesn't work.
    filters as MS specific, -moz-opacity is gecko specific. There is no W3C way to create a transparency effect, therefore Opera doesn't support any transparency rules.
    Originally posted by PeOfEo
    gosh, I forgot you were more blunt then vladdy charles lol.
    What did Chrles say? Where did his post go? Why did his post go? Where is Charles now?
    Originally posted by PeOfEo
    according to last years stats on www.thecounter.com 13% of the internet did not support java script.
    Why are you still using last years stats? Use last months, 5% don't have JavaScript. However that doesn't mean that it's OK for your menu to be JavaScript dependant cate.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Originally posted by lavalamp
    There is no W3C way to create a transparency effect
    There is: <http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#transparency>, however, as of now only Mozilla 1.7b and later builds support it.

Cool, I did not know about that.

I was reading through all of the CSS selectors a short while ago but I did not see an [onclick] selector even though I have seen it used, is it Moz proprietary or is it valid but omitted from the specs?

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    Originally posted by Vladdy
    Since you decided to post it in Accessibility forum, my advice would be to either use pdf format or delete that atrocity you got now, learn HTML, CSS and the principles of accessible web design and start over.
    Ditto. Please note CSS is in caps because it is accepted that way, although either way, vladdy would have capped it because you definately need to learn it. And the site would look pretty good, both the code and the appearace.

I was reading through all of the CSS selectors a short while ago but I did not see an [onclick] selector even though I have seen it used, is it Moz proprietary or is it valid but omitted from the specs?
    Well, if used in the context of something like:
    Code:
    div[onclick] {
    	/* ... */
    }
    Completely valid CSS2. It'll match any <div> element in which has an onclick attribute present.

Just testing you...

<.<
    >.>

I was confused, I was under the impression that it was a bit like a psuedo-class. I guess I should pay more attention in future.

No problem. It's a CSS2 attribute selector, if you're curious: <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/select...bute-selectors>.

Here's another list that I use complete with CSS version numbers.

What did Chrles say? Where did his post go? Why did his post go? Where is Charles now?
    woops read vladdy as charles, it was vladdys post. I had a brain fart.

okay - thanks for all the replies guys!! a little shell shocked but all good to know... where do I start?? this is meant to go live this week!! I don't have a good enough knowledge of Javascript to write a menu myself, and thats what the client wants. help!!

Could I redirect Lynx users to a text based site? And have <noscript> content for the 5% that would need it?

Thread Information