www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Special Characters in XML

Hybrid View

Special Characters in XML

I'm currently doing an xml based website, and I have some questions regarding this.
    I have a problem that the xml file can't accept special characters. It shows error, something like the following:

A name contained an invalid character. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/student/Desktop/Java/book10.xml'. Line 254, Position 22

---^ elvis<elvis@email.com>

I had this error when i opened the file on Internet Browser. It seems that the xml file doesnt accept special characters like '@'. may i know what's the mistake that i've made? or is there any solutions to this problems?thanks in advance.

The problem is that the parser thinks that elvis@email.com is an element name and amphorae are illegal characters in element names. Instead of <elvis@email.com> try &amp;lt;elvis@email.com&amp;gt;.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Apologies for thread necromancy, but I have a question pertaining to this topic. On my site I send my pages as application/xml+xhtml, and in the footer I use the copyright character (&copy;). While this is no problem in Firefox, it appears Thunderbird has a problem with it.
    Thunderbird's RSS Feed Reader
    XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
    Line Number 96, Column 26:<p id="footer">Copyright &amp;copy; 2004 Ben Rogers</p>
    I cannot enclose the copyright character in CDATA, because then the HTML entity is shown, but it's obviously not going to work as a special character. Please advise.

Thanks for your time.

try
    Code:
    & #169;

Originally posted by LiLcRaZyFuZzY
    try
    Code:
    & #169;
    I haven't tried it msyelf yet, but I asked someone to look at it for me in Thunderbird (I uninstalled it, it bothered me) and they said it 'twas fine. Thanks.

You can use "&amp;" instead of @ symbol.

Exclamation Special Character for em-dash

I have been using — &#151 ; for an em-dash and the xml embedded to Flash gives a
    small box (PC) or a small head-image (MAC). Does anyone have a solution to define this character or an answer besides just putting two dashes?

NEED HELP ASAP!! THanks!

Try the following code in your style sheet and see if this works for you.

Code:
    <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="2.0">
    <xsl:output use-character-maps="cm1"/>
      <xsl:character-map name="cm1">
          <xsl:output-character character="—" string="--"/>
      </xsl:character-map>

<xsl:template .....>
        <xsl Statements...>
        <xsl Statements...>
      </xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>
    Note : In the xsl:Output-character, assign the character as character="<ampersand symbol><hash Symbol>8212;"

Thread Information