www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How do I validate with Section 508?

How do I validate with Section 508?

Well people, I've read through that Section 508 web site and...

1194.22 Web-based intranet and internet information and applications.

(a) A text equivalent for every non-text element shall be provided (e.g., via "alt", "longdesc", or in element content).

(b) Equivalent alternatives for any multimedia presentation shall be synchronized with the presentation.

(c) Web pages shall be designed so that all information conveyed with color is also available without color, for example from context or markup.

(d) Documents shall be organized so they are readable without requiring an associated style sheet.

(e) Redundant text links shall be provided for each active region of a server-side image map.

(f) Client-side image maps shall be provided instead of server-side image maps except where the regions cannot be defined with an available geometric shape.

(g) Row and column headers shall be identified for data tables.

(h) Markup shall be used to associate data cells and header cells for data tables that have two or more logical levels of row or column headers.

(i) Frames shall be titled with text that facilitates frame identification and navigation.

(j) Pages shall be designed to avoid causing the screen to flicker with a frequency greater than 2 Hz and lower than 55 Hz.

(k) A text-only page, with equivalent information or functionality, shall be provided to make a web site comply with the provisions of this part, when compliance cannot be accomplished in any other way. The content of the text-only page shall be updated whenever the primary page changes.

(l) When pages utilize scripting languages to display content, or to create interface elements, the information provided by the script shall be identified with functional text that can be read by assistive technology.

(m) When a web page requires that an applet, plug-in or other application be present on the client system to interpret page content, the page must provide a link to a plug-in or applet that complies with 1194.21(a) through (l).

(n) When electronic forms are designed to be completed on-line, the form shall allow people using assistive technology to access the information, field elements, and functionality required for completion and submission of the form, including all directions and cues.

(o) A method shall be provided that permits users to skip repetitive navigation links.

(p) When a timed response is required, the user shall be alerted and given sufficient time to indicate more time is required.

Okay, now that I've read all that--isn't there a validator that checks your web site? If so, I can't find one on that site. It would be greatly appreciated if you could post the URL to a section 508 validator.

Thanks!
    Jaime Bueza
    Bueza Web Development

I’m too lazy to post individual links, but look at the top two links of this Google search. Just remember, it’s fallible software. You should still get the opinions of people on these forums (as well as others if you like). Robert Wellock here is a good man to go to on accessibility.
    Last edited by Paul Jr; 07-16-2004 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks mate!

No problem!

Flickering typically means animation and frame changing I think yours is just a glitch with the design.

http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/

Oh right. Nice one. I got that page as one of my home pages in NN too. D'oh! I really should get round to reading it as soon as.

Better go and ask about this flickering problem in a more relevant section of the forum then.

Thanks guys.

http://bobby.watchfire.com for section 508 validation!!

Thanks guys!

I prefer Cynthia

Wow, Cythia is WAY faster than bobby.watchfire.com...

thanks for the resource Bob!

Thread Information