www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Might be getting ahead of myself, but....

Might be getting ahead of myself, but....

I'm trying to finish two sites that were started by someone else. I tried to validate the site and there was an endless list of errors. What do I do? The site was built using a cms and don't even kow if I can fix some of the problems because I've yet to find out how I can change the setup of a page. I'm in the process of learning html and css but I'm not sure how useful that will be in my case because the pages are preformatted through the cms.

I've looked at the site through various browsers and the only thing that hasn't worked, to my knowledge, is the image map on the homepage.

Is there a way to fix the prexisting mistakes and still utilize the cms? Some of these problems are less inmportant for this site http://www.industrialspring.com/ but will be vital for the next site I work on. This site is designed for manufacturers alone, while the other site must appeal to the average home owner and their pc.

So rip it apart and tell me what I can do!

If it was me building it I'd ditch the CMS and start over, but... how many pages are there?
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Looking at the site there's actually a few interesting features hiding at the backend of the site. I haven't worked with Coldfusion, so I don't know how you go about modifying the CMS. Maybe you could try Macromedia's support forums?
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

There are 30 some odd pages. Part of me would like to start the project over but there will be no one here to maintain this site soon and my employer needs a site that can be very easily updated and changed. I think the cms will work for them best. Think I'll have to wait to build a site of my own before I get to start from scratch.

Now, you mention the backend having interesting feature, but you're not sure how to modify it. That's where I'm having a problem, I don't know how to get access to that part. I might have to try those macro forums. I have the contact info for the guy that created the cms and am going to give him a call, but I doubt he'll tell me how to change his own software

If you have any ideas let me know, thanks

I think I'd go for checking out one of the coldfusion forums - check out google - http://www.google.com/search?q=coldf...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Thread Information