www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: some webdeveloper.com housecleaning.

Hybrid View

A series of tubes known as the "internets"

some webdeveloper.com housecleaning.

i was thinking that perhaps we should clean up the users around here. namely the ones that haven't posted in over a year or the ones that have been members for 6+ months with 0 posts? just a suggestion.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

We don't have any rules that I'm aware of that say if you don't post within 6 months your account will be deleted, so I can't see the justification for doing it IMO.

Well I think it can be safely assumed that members who haven't posted in over a year aren't coming back.

There are around 22,000 members registered and I doubt if even 1,000 of those members are still active.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

i just find it like letting stuff clutter up your desk at work - if it's not doing anything, you might as well get rid of it.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    Have these members that do nothing get in your way like a cluttered desktop? Just the opposite

Clearning out a database of users is just not done... For a number of reasons:

1. should they have an issue the can come and post without registering.
    2. the email address is onfile for sending out newsletters and perhaps marketing.
    3. also no one wants to join a forum with 1000 or less users.
    certainly all forums have to start somewhere but most users done want to be part of it's begining. If you think about it someone seesthat number and says 'wow they have 20k users this must be the place to join to get help!'
    Compguy Pete
    The Benevolent Administrator

No child should have to deal with a Brain Stem Tumor...
    http://www.OneAna.com

Or they see 20k users and think ... wow, a lot of idiots that need help and have no lcue what they are doing, I better stay away.

Just a pessimistic point of view although I agree with the point attempted to be made, that the users shouldn't go.

Perhaps an approach would be to check out all registered users email addresses for bouncers?

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Then you could just assume they've moved on. But then again, all of the extra names just stay there. No posting by them, they just exist. It's not too much to just have the user exist, is it?

that could work. anyways, it was just a suggestion.

Thread Information