www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2600

A series of tubes known as the "internets"

Thumbs up 2600

how many folk around here read 2600? it's a very interesting magazine. the summer 04 issue had a guy talking about how you can "hack" a mercedes benz with a universal remote.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

c'mon, with all the nerds/wannabe haxors here SOMEBODY's gotta read 2600?!?!
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Well I guess I'm not a true nerd then because I have never even heard of that magazine.

Originally posted by Jick
    Well I guess I'm not a true nerd then because I have never even heard of that magazine.
    Werd.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Same. Never heard of 2600... Jeez, the most "technical" mag I've ever read is PSM (PlayStation Magazine)... as for hacking a Benz... it's called hotwiring. Duh.

I've read a few issues. I especially liked the cream cheese article...

Never heard of it!
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

Is this a 'normal' mag? Like, can you get it at stores, or only by special order (from their website or something)?

oh yeah. you can get it at barnes and noble. although the first time i went in to buy it i couldn't find it, so i asked the lady at the help desk where it was and she was searching and when she found it she was like "2600, the....hacker........quarterly?" and i was like "YEAH, BIATCH, WHAT YOU GOT?!?!" and she was like "me so sorry, sir" and stuff like that. it's a great read. there are 2600 groups in most big cities, too, that meet at least once a month.

...okaaaaay.... o.O

Barnes and Noble, eh? When I get my summer reading book I'll have to pick one up. As for the groups... I don't know if I'm ready for that quality+quantity of nerds at one time.

sadly, i've not been able to attend any of the meetings at the omaha group becuase they're on the first friday of the month and i have a life

So? What time is it...? I think that (seeing as you can drive...) going there could be pretty cool- I think your friends would understand you ditching them for one day... 0.o

Sorry to say I have read 2600 for ohh, the 20 years it has been out (grin).

Started getting it in my old 'hacker' days (everyone goes through them I think) and just never stoped getting it.

Some interesting things in it every now and again, but most of it is above me at this point in my life.

Worth the read at least

Originally posted by Oed
    but most of it is above me at this point in my life.

Worth the read at least
    most definitely worth the read. there is some really cool stuff in there, much of which is way over my head, but you still learn some neat tricks. like how to rent a movie at blockbuster and never return it without a charge.

Thread Information