www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: What if I wanted two Authentications on my website?

What if I wanted two Authentications on my website?

In an article from 4guysfromrolla.com is states the follwong:
    The Authentication Tag can only be configured at the Application root level, otherwise an error will be thrown by the Application.

That's fine, but how would I configure to directories on my site to have separate authentication? What if I wanted one folder on my website to have authentication for admin only and another authentication for visitor's page? Anyone know?

Make virtual directories in your root directory their own applications, then put the authentication at the root of those applications.

Virtual Directory

Meaning by what you said, are you saying to leave the current root directory as one area for authentication and then create another virtual directory on a sub folder? I've created those before, but would it work? If I have a sub folder and create a virtual directory on it, would the web.config file treat the sub folder as the root directory?

Each virtual directory, if it is its own application, will be the root directory for its own application. Each application may have a web.config in it. Thats how a web.config works, it is the configuration for the entire application, and if the sub directory or virtual directory is set to be its own application it should have its own web.config, and that means it can have its own forms auth code in that web.config file.

Thread Information