www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some thoughts on ASP.net

Hello Everyone,

For sometime now, I have been posting various things in this thread about ASP.NET.

However now I feel the time is ripe to stop talking about it, as already much has been said.

For those who are interested in learning more about ASP.NET, here is a list of sites in no particular order that I have found extremely useful myself.

www.w3schools.com
    www.aspalliance.com
    www.411asp.net
    www.codewanker.com
    www.msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net
    www.4guysfromrolla.com
    www.asp101.com
    www.asp.net

Hope you all have a great time learning ASP.NET, Good Luck & Have fun
    Cheers,
    Ashish

M6.Net

w3schools is not that great for asp.net. They are a fabulous asp classic reference, I love them for that, but as far as asp.net goes, they do not teach much scripting wise.

IF you go to the official Microsoft ASP.NET website, http://www.asp.net - at the left bottom navigation you will find a whole buch of links to very excellent .NET resource sites.

Happy .NET!

Originally posted by dasp
    IF you go to the official Microsoft ASP.NET website, http://www.asp.net - at the left bottom navigation you will find a whole buch of links to very excellent .NET resource sites.

Happy .NET!
    ashish posted that site already...

Wink

I have a little helper for those who use want to implement something for use across their entire web site. I felt all warm when I read about it.

First you can create a class with the name, lets say "mycustompage.vb". Set mycustompage class to inherit system.web.ui.page. Then within the page directive of your aspx pages, remove the codebehind statement and replace the inherits value with "myprojectname.mycustompage". Now all of your aspx pages will inherit the same methods, variables, etc. And basically not have to copy/paste codebehinds.

Hopefully this will cause warm tingly feelings for those who did not know about it.

i dont think i knew about that one... well i dont know a lot of things abt .net.. i am just so new to it compared to so many ppl... thanks for that Cstick.. really appreciate it
    Cheers,
    Ashish

M6.Net

That's part of asp.net oo programming. Its a parent child relationship. The pages are children of that class so they inherit its junk. When you get into asp.net oo programming there are lots of neat tricks, but I never find myself coding that way (atleast not with asp.net, java on the otherhand yes).

I consider myself to be a newby too. I mean I can do all of the usual stuff, but I still have to learn as I go. Like I do not know a thing about dynamic drawing (for graphs or maybe resizing images). I also have never used soap. My use of xml is very limited, I only use it in config files really. I wish I had free time to play with that kind of stuff more.

Exactly PeOfEo, it's inheritance in VB. I plan on using it for a site overhaul I am going to be doing hopefully sometime early next year.

I plan on using it to make printable formats from a standardized template, breadcrumbs, and if I am done in time, a CMS that I am working on. Basically I am going to drop all the codebehinds. If I have a page that really needs a codebehind though, I can simply have the codebehind inherit the custom page.

Thread Information