dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Voting Bar Chart

Voting Bar Chart

Hiya guys,

I want to be able to create a little voting system on my radio website so that people can choose a 'tune of the week' or similar.

I want them to be able to vote, and then a bar chart will automatically work out the new votes and display them in a bar chart (I want the bar chart to be permanent so that it can be seen at all times by visitors to the website, not just when someone votes and then for it to pop-up to show the results).

Does anyone know how it can be done, or even if there are any free versions available from somewhere on the internet?

Thanks in advance guys!

Yes, it can be done. I've done it using ASP.NET to generate the graphic.

Use a database to store the survey data and generate the graphic on the fly. Use an IMAGE tag and set the URL to the page that generates the graphic, adding parameters on the end if the graphic generating page needs to be flexible (Example: /barchart.aspx?wide=100&high=50&survey_id=12).

I know it's also possible using PHP, though I have no PHP experience.

Cheers mate,

I'm not very experienced beyond HTML though, so that sounds a bit complicated to me lol.

I don't think my web host supports ASP either - they support everything else like PHP, etc but for some reason, they don't allow ASP

ASP only runs on Windows servers (MS way of killing competition), so if you are running a Linux server you cant use it. So I would say that you are using a Linux server.

No need to swap servers and pay more or anything, though. You can definately write your bar chart in PHP or CGI.

Here is a PHP bar chart/graph generator: http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/1567.html

And here is a voting system: http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...d=267&lngWId=8

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

Yeah, i've since discovered that I am using a linux server - hence the reason that I can use ASP then.

Thanks for your help Buntine - i'l see what I can come up with using that. Thanks very much indeed

Thread Information