www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Hide menu for printing...

Hide menu for printing...

Hey.
    To be honest, I'm not sure this is the right place for my problem, but anyway...
    So yeah - I want to hide my menu before printing a page. I know this should be easy - put everything in DIVs and have a separate style sheet for printing where you hide anything you don't want to print. Yeah - I tried this over and over again and for the most part it's good - I can hide most things and rearrange the size of the part I want printing. The problem I have is something to do with my menu being a javascript menu... If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it. Here's a page I can't fix : http://resources.cheers-sendai.com/actionresearch.htm
    And while I'm at it... how can I set printing (from the browser) so that nothing is chopped off at the bottom? Is there a good way?

Cheers.

you're right, the problem is the menu. Use a css based menu like this and you shouldn't have a problem.

Cool

Hey,
    Thanks a lot.
    I was getting frustrated because I hadn't had a response (I guess I'm just impatient) and I found a good way to print the content using javascript. I don't want to do that though - I really do want to work it out with CSS. That menu you've shown me is really good and I appreciate it. Now, when I have time I'll replace my menu with that.
    I don't suppose you can help with the other thing too? I think if I print out directly from the browser like this some of the text is cut off. How can I get it to print out nicely?

Cheers

but....

Hey Sam,
    I've just been having another look at that menu and it seems a little unstable. The ends of the tree often flash off suddenly. It seems that you have to be careful to get the right page - especially if it's on the second or third submenu.
    What do you think? Am I just being fussy here or what? Can I have the same thing but with the stability of the javascript menu I have now?

Cheers again.

Thread Information