www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: java or .net

java or .net

hi,
    My company has a site developed in ASP...we r planning to shift to some other techonology. But, ofcourse JSP or .net...now i need suggestions from webmasters:
    1) will it be a good idea to shift
    2) very critical ....java or .net

Traffic to site at present is 200mbps avg per day and total bandwidth usage is 200GB avg per month.

Plz help me take decision.

Thnx
    Retesh...
    Retesh

Considering you have such a high amount of traffic pass through the site each day, you will need something most stable than classic ASP, which was not designed for such large Web Sites.

Both JSP or the .NET environment could handle this amount of traffic. Personally, I would have just as much trouble deciding which technology to use. However, the cutting-edge technology here would be ASP.NET.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

thnx for reply...i hve read your replies to many discussion and will give top piority to your suggestions.

I hve to submit report before 15th aug on weather to shift from ASP (thats fo sure) or not...and wat technology shd we adopt...jsp or .net

MS technologies will restrict our organisation of MS environment and further licence and other stuff will cost us fourtune....and then as i mentioned above thr r few applications like video streaming etc...do u still suggest .net is a good option....

Plz help me in making decision.
    thnx again...
    Retesh...
    Retesh

Perhaps you can use a hybrid approach to things, if you can seperate the bulky content from the dynamic pages. (Host the video files using Linux and Apache and lighten the load on the server that would be running IIS to use ASP.NET...)

If you want to achieve freedom, JSP is the way to go. If you want a simpler migration path for your code on your way to better performance, ASP.NET is probably the better choice for that.

I switched from coding in ASP to ASP.NET, and the transition wasn't difficult (and finally being able to code in non-stupid ways was a big plus... no more "On Error Goto Hell"). In my case, however, the cost of the supporting software was a non-issue.

java and .net

Yes j2ee and .net are the two leading technologies of the present day.
    Chris, Senior Developer,
    Php laravel developers,
    http://www.chrisranjana.com

I think it will be best to go with JSP with Oracle backend, depending on the budget as Oracle licensing will cost quite alot.

I have to disagree with AB and CardboardHammer. ASP can and does handle high throughput high transactional systems quite nicely. I have built sites that handle thousands of hist per hour using ASP and MSSQL. JSP offers no performance gains over ASP.

It is true that Oracle can handle more than MSSQL, but at a cost about 8x as much. You can buy a few MSSQL servers before approaching the price of one Oracle license.

.Net or J2EE are both fine choices to migrate to. The back end (database) can be any of a number of DBs. Don't be fooled into thinking that Java doesn't limit you to a specific vendor. This is one of the biggest misconceptions that abound in our business. It all depends on how your business runs. If you have an internal IT/IS department, then the most important consideration is the cost of training the staff in new technologies. If you are already runnning MSSQL, then there is no reason to decide Oracle (or DB2, or any other DB platform) is the way to go. Business software is developed by developers to solve the problems at hand. Going to Java gives you no more freedom of choice in vendors than does going to .Net -- once you deploy your solution. The key is to get it done as quickly as possible, as cheaply as possible, without sacrificing quality, or scalability.

In short, if you have a room full of ASP/MSSQL programmers, go with .Net and MSSQL. If you outsource everything, make your choice based on cost, but remember that migrating ASP code to .Net is slightly easier (read cheaper) than migrating it to Java. And as far as the back end, migrating to Oracle (plus new lic. fees) is way pricier than leaving the data on MSSQL.

I would strongly suggest reading up on J2EE, MS Windows DNA, and .Net before making a decision. The throughput you describe is no big deal as far as platforms are concerned.

Also, you should consider PHP and MySQL as cheaper alternatives (as far a s licensing fees)
    Last edited by russell; 08-06-2004 at 03:22 AM.

Originally posted by russell
    I have to disagree with AB and CardboardHammer. ...
    Umm... Nothing you said disagrees with anything I said.

so basically if i hve to migrate .net is the best option with oracle.
    i am also planning to shift my database to xml and MySQL.
    how much compatible(ie:ease of use) are .net or jsp with xml and is it a good option to shift and maintain database in xml(only content of site).
    Retesh

Well, technically it doesnt matter. Personally, I think .NET should be used with MS SQL because most of the documentation you read will be based on that pair.

Final opinion: .NET + MS SQL or J2EE + Oracle.

Regards.

Originally posted by retesh_gondal
    i am also planning to shift my database to xml and MySQL.
    how much compatible(ie:ease of use) are .net or jsp with xml and is it a good option to shift and maintain database in xml(only content of site).
    ? So you're looking to use MySQL as the database? So why not go with LAMP: Linux; Apache; MySQL; and PHP? It covers the whole spectrum of needs and there are no licence fees involved at all.

BTW, bandwidth use alone isn't a good metric for determining the performance requirements of the software used. (There's a huge difference between a few users grabbing a few large files and a whole lot of users requesting small, processing heavy, dynamic pages.

our entire office network is Windows based so we cant really shift to Linux...as thr r more than 300 comps running.

so .net is wat u all suggest..!!

and 1 more thing is a java online streamig application a better option than MS media player..!!
    Retesh

Well, there are versions of Apache, MySQL, and PHP for Windows, so you could still use them, with the ability to migrate it more easily to Linux in the future, should that ever become desirable... What you should do depends a lot on whether cheap or easy is the more important attribute to you.

Thread Information