dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: auto reopen webpage upon close

auto reopen webpage upon close

Greetings,

Does anyone know how to automatically reopen a webpage when the user closes it? Possibly by using a script? The script would allow the webpage to be minimized but if the user were to close the webpage the script would automatically reopen that webpage.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

*Nick*

IE stupidly supports an onunload feature that could be used for just the kind of annoying, user-losing script, sorry to say that real browsers like Mozilla will not let you have this kind of unreasonable control that you desire.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Thank you for replying.

I'm using the onUnload feature for an intranet webpage that i'm designing, not for evil purposes

But incase someone else should have the same question as I, here is the code for how i implemented it:

<BODY onUnload="window.open(url,windowname,features)">

Use single quotes around your url, windowname and whatever features list (if any) you declare for the new window.

Also, here is a link to how to implement this feature using a Javascript:

http://www.psacake.com/web/ea.asp

Thank you again for your help!

*Nick*

Originally posted by nick1
    Thank you for replying.

I'm using the onUnload feature for an intranet webpage that i'm designing, not for evil purposes

But incase someone else should have the same question as I, here is the code for how i implemented it:

<BODY onUnload="window.open(url,windowname,features)">

Use single quotes around your url, windowname and whatever features list (if any) you declare for the new window.

Also, here is a link to how to implement this feature using a Javascript:

http://www.psacake.com/web/ea.asp

Thank you again for your help!

*Nick*
    and your script fails in real browsers. It is also utterly pointless the rest of the time unless you want to spam people with ads or annoy them when they cant close your site. It is a script that would idealy never be used... because it is retarded.

Geez man, chill out. For my situation it worked perfectly so i posted it incase someone might come across the same situation as i. To those of you that were helpful, thank you again.

*Nick*

Originally posted by nick1
    Geez man, chill out. For my situation it worked perfectly so i posted it incase someone might come across the same situation as i. To those of you that were helpful, thank you again.

*Nick*
    And what situation was that? What situation could you possibly need a script like this? Neither me or lavalamp have given you information on how to use your script, we have both said the same thing. This script will fail in real browsers (internet explorer is not a real broder... its a crappy browser).

You know how utterly ****** up that is? I tried it out, and it sent IE in an infinite loop. Nothing the user can do will allow them to escape. Links, quitting, terminating the application. I couldn't escape until I did it so fast that IE crashed. I HAVE to ask, why would you ever need this? Unless you're spamming.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    i won't rant at you, but i must agree that it's a bad idea. it's not a good idea to upset your users to the degree that you set bob at.

Geeze! Why are you bashing Nick1? I'll give you an EXACT scenario we will be using this for!!!! We have public terminals and we have them very locked down. We have an iSeries Emulator running on these full screen. We also need to have a website available for users to access as well. Many users close the web page when they are done and because the teminals are so locked down, the only way to relaunch it is to re-start the workstation. This gives us the ability to always keep the web page open even if the user closes it. There is your example!!!!!

lol, i see your point, but why not just give them a link or desktop icon to click on to launch the browser. no need to respond, its just a suggestion, but the solution you came up with may be more appropriate. the easy way out is to press ctrl+alt+delete and just end task on the browser application if that is not also disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_1964 View Post
    Geeze! Why are you bashing Nick1? I'll give you an EXACT scenario we will be using this for!!!!
    You have a very specific and non-typical scenario, in which the facility is both useful and effective. I wonder why Nick has not answered for himself as to why he needs that facility?

Thread Information