www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: SE Rankings

SE Rankings

Hello everyone.

I work for a young web design company (when i say young we've only been doing web design for about 6 months) and already we have produced 20 websites. Unfortunately we have a problem with Google and the other search engines.

Without doing an explicit search we cannot find our company's site nor can we find any of the other sites that we have created.

If it is possible can someone here offer any advice on how to better creating keywords and the like so that a general search term (disregarding quotes) like "IT Training and Web Design in Glasgow"

allow for a better return for or main site?

all information in greatly appreciated and accepted

Thank you
    Wait..Wait..I've heard this one before...
    www.slsuk.com

better ranking in google

>I work for a young web design company (when i say young we've only been doing web design for about 6 months) and already we have produced 20 websites. Unfortunately we have a problem with Google and the other search engines.

>Without doing an explicit search we cannot find our company's site nor can we find any of the other sites that we have created.

Google puts new sites in what is called a "sandbox" for several months where they don't rank for their major keywords--they deny it but this is what most everyone is experiencing.

Also Google ranks sites by how many backlinks a site has (links coming into the site) and then by keywords You need at least 10 quality links to bring your rank up and the more the better) . So backlinks are your first priority with Google.

Yahoo and MSN focus more on Keyword density.
    Lori
    http://www.loriswebs.com

Re: better ranking in google

Originally posted by Lorel
    Google puts new sites in what is called a "sandbox" for several months where they don't rank for their major keywords--they deny it but this is what most everyone is experiencing.[/B]

when you say 'sandbox' what exactly do you mean by that? Is it a case of google dropping the newly submitted sites into a filter system for a few months before submitting it?
    www.slsuk.com

re Sandbox

>when you say 'sandbox' what exactly do you mean by that? Is it a case of google dropping the newly submitted sites into a filter system for a few months before submitting it?

No, they get indexed but they don't show any rank (and thus can't be found) for any of their major keywords whether they have lots of backlinks or not.
    Lori

ah i see what you mean now..thanks for your help..ive often wondered how one site can show on yahoo and MSN and no show on google...

you've been a real help thank you

but the length of wait time...how long does that last for??

We've done some searches with keywords relating to our site in google and our site isnt even ranked in the returns and our site was submitted to google a while ago......and i mean about a year ago
    Last edited by Coders; 08-09-2004 at 10:30 AM.
    www.slsuk.com

>but the length of wait time...how long does that last for??

I'm not sure.

>We've done some searches with keywords relating to our site in google and our site isnt even ranked in the returns and our site was submitted to google a while ago......and i mean about a year

Do you have plenty of quality backlinks, i.e., relevant links from sites with PR 4 or more? If not you might want to focus on that.
    Lori

I think the Google sandbox is a myth. New sites can take a while to get anywhere in the SERPS (search engine results pages), but I can usually get them spidered / indexed within a few weeks.

I have keywords at the top spot on Google. I can usually get pages picked up by Google within a week or two and in the serps in about 6 weeks.

To get into Google you need good quality links from PR4 sites.

Now the bad news - to rank highly for website design is going to be tough (especially using white hat SEO). You need everything spot on,
    and lots of themed high quality BL's.

Do you use the Google toolbar?

Are you using the h1 tag and is your title tag within this and almost the first thing any spider will find? This can help a lot. The keywords in your title tag should be within the page, looking at your site they are not. Each page should have a different and appropriate title tag related to the keywords on the page, each page is an opportunity to be "found" on Google.

Keyword and description tags look like spam, focus on 1 or 2 keywords or phrases per page, focus tightly on these, for instance the homepage could focus on website design and Glasgow or Scotland.

Submitting to Google is a waste of time they will only pick up a site from a link on a Google indexed / spidered site.

Your internal links back to your homepage should be to the base url -homepage.co.uk not to homepage.co.uk/index, this is then counted as a link to the base URL building pagerank to it and not /index.

I apologise if this is old hat to you and it is a really nice site - nice feel, great navigation.
    Last edited by mountainmad; 08-10-2004 at 05:10 PM.

Yeah, it `s a real challenge to get a great pagerank . Especially in web and software development. (I had such experience )

You should concetrate on backlinks from highrated sites. It`s the only way....

You can visit www.bluefind.com and for only $50 you can get a quality link back to your site with a PR 6 or PR7. Well worth it.

Google has been indexing my site tenfold ever since.

I've had Google index my sites within about a week, it all really does seem to depend on where links to your website come from.

For a start do yourself a favour and put a link to your website in all your posts on forums (like I have).

As for those that SELL links to your website be VERY careful. In the end Google does not react friendly to such websites IF the links are not relevant (e.g. A website about motorbikes links to a website about swimming).

If you do need links, I suggest finding similar websites to your own (who perhaps have a decent PageRank) and request link exchanges with them.

I suppose it`s too much : 50$ for a backlink?

Very true. I got a PR 7 with not too many links on a site. That is very good really boosts your PR. i think that PR7 could be equivalent to setting up 100 PR5's

Thread Information