• Opera

1 9.09%
  • Lynx

0 0%
  • Other (please tell us what it is)

1 9.09%

Thread: Favorite Browser?

Favorite Browser?

I know I'm opening up this forum to some heated debate, but here goes...

What is your favorite browser and why?

I will go ahead and quickly outline my thoughts, but I am really interested in your thoughts.

I choose to go with Mozilla (right now I'm running 1.1, however, I will upgrade to 1.2 soon enough).

1) I have plenty of memory, so I have it start up in my memory. This allows it to actually load faster than IE

2) It's free and has no ad (Opera's ad bothers me, and yes, I realize you can pay for the ad-less version)

3) Mozilla allows me to stop pop-up ads...an amazing thing. It works 100% of the time.

4) Tabbed browsing is simply wonderful and convienant

5) Mozilla is CONSTANTLY being updated.

6) Mozilla doesn't include some security risk that other browsers (*cough*Internet Explorer) have.

7) I try and support the open source movement.

8) It works with my Linux machine

9) Whenever you view source, I like it's syntax highlighting.

10) I like how skinnable it is. The defualt UI is just not my style.

11) It seems to render faster

12) It makes me a better webmaster. If it works in Mozilla and validates with the w3c, then I know I'm doing something right. This helps me to stay away from the horrible IE only code that plagues many websites.

13) I like the dragon <grin>.
    Thank you HTML Goodies and all the regulars on the forums. I've learned much from you guys and am definetly a much better webmaster because of your dedication.

-Tres London

Re: Favorite Browser?

Originally posted by telconstar99
    [B]
    I choose to go with Mozilla (right now I'm running 1.1, however, I will upgrade to 1.2 soon enough).
    I would hold of on upgrading Moz 1.1 until 1.2.1 comes. Some nasty bugs found itself into 1.2 just before release.

3) Mozilla allows me to stop pop-up ads...an amazing thing. It works 100% of the time.
    Well, It's not 100%, but close enough

Anyway, my perferd browser(s) are Mozilla relatives.

K-Meleon (Win) http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

And Phoenix (Win & Lin) http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

They use the same gecko engine as Moz, but are smaller and faster. K-Mel is the more mature one and Phoenix is a brand new standalone browser built directly on latest nightly Gecko every day.
    // Stefan Huszics

Ah, thanks for the warning. I will hold off on downloading that build now.

I've downloaded both of those browsers, and honestly, I can't see an advantage to running them over Mozilla. I haven't found many articles discussing the pros and cons of each, so I may be making an uninformed decision.

I understand that they are quicker, however, when I have Mozilla running in the memory (as I do now), it loads very quickly (as quickly or faster than the other two, I can't remember which).

Do you see any other advantages to running those "Mozilla spawns"?
    Thank you HTML Goodies and all the regulars on the forums. I've learned much from you guys and am definetly a much better webmaster because of your dedication.

-Tres London

Stefan, do you know what the bugs are in 1.2 or where I can find out about them?

Originally posted by Klyve1
    Stefan, do you know what the bugs are in 1.2 or where I can find out about them?
    http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182500
    // Stefan Huszics

Originally posted by telconstar99

I've downloaded both of those browsers, and honestly, I can't see an advantage to running them over Mozilla.
    Both should be faster to load becuse they are smaller the Moz, both initially and on secondary restarts. (order K-Mel - Phoenix - Moz)

They are alos generally faster at loading webpages (order K-Mel - Phoenix - Moz)

They use less memory (order K-Mel - Phoenix - Moz)

If/when they crash, they don't take your Chatwindow or mail down with it.

Far better customization.
    Just take a peak at Phoenix View > Toolbars > Customize.
    K-Mels Edit > Preferences > Configs is pretty powerfull too.

K-Mel is also possible to run on low end systems where Moz will barely start. P100 will compleatly choke on Moz (and even Phoenix) but K-Mel is still usable.
    Last edited by Stefan; 12-01-2002 at 08:30 AM.
    // Stefan Huszics

Yes, but technically Mozilla is also web-developer toolkit rather than just a browser if you want a fast efficient browser, rather than a browser suite then Mozilla Phoenix or K-Meleon would be more suitable.

I really like Mozilla, but Opera 7 looks great now. Maybe when that's at the final I may switch back to Opera, or at least use them both.

Personally I didn't like K-meleon, (although I didn't give it much of a chance), but Phoenix (soon to be renamed!) I loved. Just missed a few things of Mozilla, so I switched back.

Lynx is great for a text-browser, and I do use it from time to time, but some sites are hard to understand with it

Personally, I use Lynx when I'm in a console only environment. Other than that I stick w/ a Mozilla browser, though I may try Phoenix out again.

-Tres London

Thread Information