• Opera

1 9.09%
  • Lynx

0 0%
  • Other (please tell us what it is)

1 9.09%

Thread: Favorite Browser?

Favorite Browser?

I know I'm opening up this forum to some heated debate, but here goes...

What is your favorite browser and why?

I will go ahead and quickly outline my thoughts, but I am really interested in your thoughts.

I choose to go with Mozilla (right now I'm running 1.1, however, I will upgrade to 1.2 soon enough).

1) I have plenty of memory, so I have it start up in my memory. This allows it to actually load faster than IE

2) It's free and has no ad (Opera's ad bothers me, and yes, I realize you can pay for the ad-less version)

3) Mozilla allows me to stop pop-up ads...an amazing thing. It works 100% of the time.

4) Tabbed browsing is simply wonderful and convienant

5) Mozilla is CONSTANTLY being updated.

6) Mozilla doesn't include some security risk that other browsers (*cough*Internet Explorer) have.

7) I try and support the open source movement.

8) It works with my Linux machine

9) Whenever you view source, I like it's syntax highlighting.

10) I like how skinnable it is. The defualt UI is just not my style.

11) It seems to render faster

12) It makes me a better webmaster. If it works in Mozilla and validates with the w3c, then I know I'm doing something right. This helps me to stay away from the horrible IE only code that plagues many websites.

13) I like the dragon <grin>.

Re: Favorite Browser?

Originally posted by telconstar99
    [B]
    I choose to go with Mozilla (right now I'm running 1.1, however, I will upgrade to 1.2 soon enough).
    I would hold of on upgrading Moz 1.1 until 1.2.1 comes. Some nasty bugs found itself into 1.2 just before release.

3) Mozilla allows me to stop pop-up ads...an amazing thing. It works 100% of the time.
    Well, It's not 100%, but close enough

Anyway, my perferd browser(s) are Mozilla relatives.

K-Meleon (Win) http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/

And Phoenix (Win & Lin) http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

They use the same gecko engine as Moz, but are smaller and faster. K-Mel is the more mature one and Phoenix is a brand new standalone browser built directly on latest nightly Gecko every day.

Ah, thanks for the warning. I will hold off on downloading that build now.

I've downloaded both of those browsers, and honestly, I can't see an advantage to running them over Mozilla. I haven't found many articles discussing the pros and cons of each, so I may be making an uninformed decision.

I understand that they are quicker, however, when I have Mozilla running in the memory (as I do now), it loads very quickly (as quickly or faster than the other two, I can't remember which).

Do you see any other advantages to running those "Mozilla spawns"?

Stefan, do you know what the bugs are in 1.2 or where I can find out about them?

Originally posted by Klyve1
    Stefan, do you know what the bugs are in 1.2 or where I can find out about them?
    http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=182500

Originally posted by telconstar99

I've downloaded both of those browsers, and honestly, I can't see an advantage to running them over Mozilla.
    Both should be faster to load becuse they are smaller the Moz, both initially and on secondary restarts. (order K-Mel - Phoenix - Moz)

They are alos generally faster at loading webpages (order K-Mel - Phoenix - Moz)

They use less memory (order K-Mel - Phoenix - Moz)

If/when they crash, they don't take your Chatwindow or mail down with it.

Far better customization.
    Just take a peak at Phoenix View > Toolbars > Customize.
    K-Mels Edit > Preferences > Configs is pretty powerfull too.

K-Mel is also possible to run on low end systems where Moz will barely start. P100 will compleatly choke on Moz (and even Phoenix) but K-Mel is still usable.
    Last edited by Stefan; 12-01-2002 at 09:30 AM.

Yes, but technically Mozilla is also web-developer toolkit rather than just a browser if you want a fast efficient browser, rather than a browser suite then Mozilla Phoenix or K-Meleon would be more suitable.

I really like Mozilla, but Opera 7 looks great now. Maybe when that's at the final I may switch back to Opera, or at least use them both.

Personally I didn't like K-meleon, (although I didn't give it much of a chance), but Phoenix (soon to be renamed!) I loved. Just missed a few things of Mozilla, so I switched back.

Lynx is great for a text-browser, and I do use it from time to time, but some sites are hard to understand with it

Personally, I use Lynx when I'm in a console only environment. Other than that I stick w/ a Mozilla browser, though I may try Phoenix out again.

Thread Information