dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speakers!

Speakers!

Hey, y'all, I'm in the market to buy some speakers, and I ran across a set of Logitech Z-2200s, which are like, totally awesome. I only need a 2.1 config. since I don't have a lot of room on or off my desk. So, what do you think? I can get 'em 30 bucks cheaper from Dell than from Logitech.

nice , i Have a harman/kardon

Right now I've got a set of Creative 5.1s (not sure of the model), but two of them mysteriously stopped working one day.

Check your wires, they can be an issue sometimes. I've got a 6.1 surround sound and one of the wires go loose to one of the satellites, threw off the whole experience . But I found the little sucker.

What are you using these speakers for? Your computer? Seems solid, and looks like it'll give you good sound. 200 watts of power looks good for that. 4 of my satellites at 60 watts each, with 100 center. Big old subwoofer too. It's got dolby digital, so I've got my tv, video games, and computer all hooked up to it. But, it depends on your room and its usage.

One thing that bothers me, is that with the increased clarity of CDs and the new power of speakers, nobody seems to really care about sound quality anymore .

I also have harman/kadaron I love them. But I have my sound card output going into my stereo :P.

Originally posted by MstrBob
    Check your wires, they can be an issue sometimes. I've got a 6.1 surround sound and one of the wires go loose to one of the satellites, threw off the whole experience . But I found the little sucker.
    I'm pretty sure it isn't any of the wires; the first thing I did was check the wires. I'm 'bout 95%-ish sure it isn't the wires (so many wires, could've missed one).

What are you using these speakers for? Your computer? Seems solid, and looks like it'll give you good sound. 200 watts of power looks good for that. 4 of my satellites at 60 watts each, with 100 center. Big old subwoofer too. It's got dolby digital, so I've got my tv, video games, and computer all hooked up to it. But, it depends on your room and its usage.
    I place PC games every now and then, but it's mostly just for my music. The room is all but unused except by me, but it's right next to the living room, and there's an open door and some shelves in the wall, so if I play it loud enough it bothers people in the other room and then I have to turn it down.

One thing that bothers me, is that with the increased clarity of CDs and the new power of speakers, nobody seems to really care about sound quality anymore .
    Not sure I follow. What do you mean by “sound quality”? My hearing is pretty good; it's my eyesight that isn't so good.

Most people don't put any real thought into buying speakers/stereo except if the speakers look cool or not . In my house, me parents invested in some good new Bose speakers for this tuner from '80. And despite its age, on just 4 (it goes up to 20) it pumps it out like you wouldn't believe. The bass line can be felt, it's crystal clear stereo, and I used Monster wire so there's no fuzziness from interferance. You've never experienced a good CD until you've listened to it on this or something similar. Puts my 6.1 to shame .

Wiring is the most fragile part of modern systems. Something might have broken in the middle, or perhaps, the control (or whatever you call it) (usually in the subwoofer) is fried. That happened to my friend, he had to buy a new system. Thing you need to consider is size and open space. If it's a bedroom (or bedroom size) or is a cluttered room (furniture in the middle) than you'd be very well off with those speakers. 5.1, 6.1, and the high-end stereos are for larger, open rooms.

Most people don't put any real thought into buying speakers/stereo except if the speakers look cool or not . In my house, me parents invested in some good new Bose speakers for this tuner from '80. And despite its age, on just 4 (it goes up to 20) it pumps it out like you wouldn't believe. The bass line can be felt, it's crystal clear stereo, and I used Monster wire so there's no fuzziness from interferance. You've never experienced a good CD until you've listened to it on this or something similar. Puts my 6.1 to shame .
    Wow, awesome. Epic. Wish I had some speakers like that.

Wiring is the most fragile part of modern systems. Something might have broken in the middle, or perhaps, the control (or whatever you call it) (usually in the subwoofer) is fried. That happened to my friend, he had to buy a new system. Thing you need to consider is size and open space. If it's a bedroom (or bedroom size) or is a cluttered room (furniture in the middle) than you'd be very well off with those speakers. 5.1, 6.1, and the high-end stereos are for larger, open rooms.
    I sure wish I knew what was wrong with it. Just up and stopped workin' one day. The room isn't very large, and I don't have a lot of space to put many speakers anyways. A 2.1 should be just perfect for my set up.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    my school was selling the speakers that came with our new computers for $7 a pair. i only got 1 pair, but i could have had my room covered in speakers. that would have roxored.

I have the speakers shown in this photo: http://www.venturaes.com/news/barbie.JPEG. Literally. They were $3 on a clearance table in Wal-Mart. When I crank them to full, they almost drown out the leaky faucet in the washroom.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    oh my. did you get the camera too?

I have Altec Lansing AVS 500's. They're pretty nice for only $50.00.

Originally posted by rhsunderground
    oh my. did you get the camera too?
    No, the speakers were just being sold seperately. But that camera would have kicked much ass. Probly bout a.... 0.05 MegaPixel

80w is pretty decent power, sound fine in an average sized room, obviously no good if you've got a massive room to fill.

Agreed on the sound quality above, I'd buy Bose over most others anyday, you can really notice the difference in quality which proves a lot just that you can notice it.

Bang & Oulfsen
    and
    Linn
    both do pretty good stuff aswell.

80 Watts MAX? or RMS?

If it was 80 watts RMS to each speaker, that would be a pretty good system for just a computer. For a car though, the people outside wouldn't hear anything!

If it was 80 watts Max, that would drop to half or even more depending on your amp. It would drop to 40 or less watts RMS.

I've got an Altec Lansing 5.1, only 38 watts RMS to the sub and like 8 watts RMS to each speaker.

RMS and Max is tricky. I blew my subwoofers in my car once because I thought Max was RMS. Ick. :S Biggest waste of money ever.

Thread Information