www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Need an Actionscript Forum!

resolved [RESOLVED] Need an Actionscript Forum!

I post on these boards every now and again and was surprised to notice no Actionscript forum under the scripting section. I'm fluent in Flash programming and would suggest you guys put the forum up there. It definitely comprises "Web Development".

There are very few Actionscript questions at all on these forums (or Flash questions, for that matter). The reason? Flash is going out of style as accessible design becomes increasingly popular. Therefor, questions regarding Flash/Actionscript can be asked in General/Other.
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Heh maybe there are very few actionscript questions here because there is no forum to post them in besides one labeled "Other". Even then, I would assume there are no knowledgeable people relating to that language if I have to post in that forum.

Flash is by no means going out of style. It currently corners the market in interactive web development. I'm just saying this site is missing out of numerous visitors, look how many posts have been made here:

http://www.were-here.com/forum/

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    Originally posted by schizo
    Heh maybe there are very few actionscript questions here because there is no forum to post them in besides one labeled "Other". Even then, I would assume there are no knowledgeable people relating to that language if I have to post in that forum.

Flash is by no means going out of style. It currently corners the market in interactive web development. I'm just saying this site is missing out of numerous visitors, look how many posts have been made here:

http://www.were-here.com/forum/
    We are not missing out because we refuse to answer. We don't get the questions because users refuse to ask (correctly at that). We've got a lot of people here that no Java that will help you, c++ that will help, etc. If users decide not to ask, how would we ever answer them?

Flash is by no means going out of style. It currently corners the market in interactive web development.
    Flash is going out of style. Maybe this will help you understand better:[list=1][*]accessible web development is becoming more and more popular[*]anything that may require the user to download an extra plugin is NOT accessible[*]therefor, FLASH IS GOING OUT OF STYLE[/list=1]
    look how many posts have been made here:
    That is a very small amount, considering there are thousands of posts in the other forums.
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    I would say that flash is losing popularity. It is almost coming to the point of JS where it should not be required to make a site accessible, because like JS, not all browsers will understand flash, nor have support for them, nor the plugin.

And as accessibility becomes more important, people will realie that Flash usage is not worth using, since it simply doesn't help making ones' site accessible.

Dr. Script

Agreed--Flash should only be used for funny cartoon animations!

example: http://www.flashplayer.com

"Everything in a web browser."

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    flash takes away from those of us with dial-up a lot
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

i pretty much have to disagree with this whole debate. I've been designing and developing websites for over 6 years and in that time have seen many trends come and go (i can remember a time when animated gifs were all the rage). i remember when flash was simply a tool used for animation. in the time since its inception flash has added many features and done many things to both help and hurt the web industry.

Originally posted by Daniel T
    Flash is going out of style. Maybe this will help you understand better:[list=1][*]accessible web development is becoming more and more popular[*]anything that may require the user to download an extra plugin is NOT accessible[*]therefor, FLASH IS GOING OUT OF STYLE[/list=1]
    [list=1][*]yes accessibilty is gaining in popularity, which is why Flash MX 2004 has added several new accessibility features. Also, while accessibility is an important issue, so is creating a positive and engaging user experience. when used properly, flash can create a much more engaging experience than static html.[*]the last time i checked the flash player came standard with most browsers and had well over a 95% market coverage.[*]you've hardly proven your point[/list=1]

All of that aside, schizo (as far as i can tell) is merely offering to give back some knowledge. i have seen some of his work and know that he is very knowledgable in actionscript and flash development. he was not saying that flash is better than everything else. he is just making the suggestion to add actionscript as another forum since it is an important language in web development.

saying that Flash is going out of style is like saying HTML is going out of style since most of its tags are being depricated as the standard moves to XHTML.

Well, HTML IS going out of style And I'd see good reason to have a Flash forum at least, since it is an internet language. It's got everyright to be here as does JavaScript, PHP, ASP, you know? And used properly, like JavaScript, Flash can make very interactive and interesting websites.

I might have to agree. I've been looking into learning Flash, and a Flash/Actionscript forum would be very helpful.
    Oh, and I don't have the Flash plugin.

Originally posted by MstrBob
    Well, HTML IS going out of style
    HTML, going out of style? Uhhh… no?
    When marking up websites, XHTML doesn't really have that much of an advantage over HTML. HTML is still very in style, and will continue to be for a very long time, I would think.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Perhaps I should add a smiley, or a "should"

HTML should go out of style. The code is cleaner, sctricter, and XHTML browers can be smaller because they don't have to deal with mistakes as much. I just say that because XHTML forces the coder to use proper code. Especially when I use XHTML Strict, or XHTML 1.1 Make an error with the coding, and do the layout with CSS? Throws the whole damn thing off.

And Paul, how do you use flash without the Plugin?

Perhaps I should add a smiley, or a "should"

HTML should go out of style. The code is cleaner, sctricter, and XHTML browers can be smaller because they don't have to deal with mistakes as much. I just say that because XHTML forces the coder to use proper code. Especially when I use XHTML Strict, or XHTML 1.1 Make an error with the coding, and do the layout with CSS? Throws the whole damn thing off.
    True. Technically I can't say HTML isn't going out of style, but I really haven't heard anything and don't really see a reason why it would.

And Paul, how do you use flash without the Plugin?
    I don't.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Hey schizo, I totaly agree with you on this subject and checked out your website, you've done a wonderfull job and I admire your skills, I agree that there should be a forum on Actionscripting as there are still a lot of people could benefit out of that who are Flash freaks and lovers including me :-)...

We have a dedicated forum for Flash. It's a proprietary technology, that's why we keep it separate from the rest of the front end web technologies that run in a browser

Thread Information