www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Update MySQL row using URL link?

Update MySQL row using URL link?

I currently update MySQL rows using phpMyAdmin. For example:

UPDATE mysql_db SET publish = 1 WHERE Date = 'Sunday, August 15, 2004 21:04:32'

Since I get the update info in an e-mail send whenever the form is submitted, I'd like to turn querys like the above encoded into a URL - bypassing phpMyAdmin - which when clicked, will update the row.

Anybody know how to do this?

Many thanks in advance,

-Bob

You would have to send it to a page that has the mysql_query() on it, then on the same page, get the referer and use a Location header to direct the browser back to the referer after the query has been executed.
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Wow! Thanks the quick reply Daniel :-)

So I guess what I'm trying to do is not possible?? I read somewhere about using a ftp URL which would prompt/require the id/password authentication that I normally get when I want to access phpMyAdmin. I
    I've clicked on plenty of e-mail URLs which do something other than take me to a Web site, for example, like the lost password/reset link you get from Webdeveloper. Is what you describe similar to how that is done?

Thanks again,

-Bob

Originally posted by bobafifi
    I've clicked on plenty of e-mail URLs which do something other than take me to a Web site, for example, like the lost password/reset link you get from Webdeveloper. Is what you describe similar to how that is done?
    Yes, that would involve going to a page that uses mail() to mail the information and then use header("Location: blahblah.php") to forward you to a different page without you even knowing that the mail page existed.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

OK Daniel, - sounds like what I'm after is more involved than I was imagining - namely bypassing the phpMyAdmin biz in order to run an update query - can you recommend some resources for me to check out that covers this kind of thing?

Thanks again,

-Bob

A combination of these is what you're looking to do:

http://ca3.php.net/mysql_query
    http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/functio...r.php#AEN39575

Thanks Daniel - links look good.
    I don't know much about php (actually about any computer languages! - I'm a musician, not a programmer), - scripts I use are in Perl so that's what I've been looking for to do this.

Thanks again for the help,

-Bob

Oooh, I was thinking you were a programmer.... well, in that case, you could probably find a prewritten script out there somewhere.... you could give Matt's Script Archive a try.

Hi Daniel,

I just found this page ( http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/ASP/Make-...ML-with-VSNET/ )
    which looks very much like what I have in mind, but for MySQL (.

"SELECT CustomerId, CompanyName FROM Customer"

http://localhost/sql?sql=select%20Cu...R%20XML%20AUTO

=====

Would something like this work??

Thanks,

-Bob

Thread Information