www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Problems with I.E Mac and PC

Problems with I.E Mac and PC

I have developed this site wwww.ThetaChapter1910.com and in firefox, netscape, safari, and mozilla, the navigation is fine but on I.E its broken up so i was wondering if there is a fast solution to this problem. what im trying to achieve is a content area that scales to the size of the information displayed. in order to do this I inserted a table inside of the table that was already present on the site and in this table i was inserting information. i think i have tried just about everything with no solution for I.E, i think im overlooking something and figured a few extra eyes might help

All browsers handle tables differently than others. My suggestion is to convert the tabular layout into a styled division layout. This would be much more accessible and would be much more 'cross-browser'

But, to answer your question, try removing the padding and margins from your TD's and TR's. You can do this inline with the elements ( style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px;") or you can declare a rule in your style block at the top of your document:

Code:
    tr, td {
       padding: 0px;
       margin: 0px;
    }
    Also, I noticed you have images that represent text; this is also inaccessible and requires much more bandwidth.

Unhappy

when you say styled division layout you mean css right? well now that you mention that my css coding leaves something to be desired, a long story, but thats neither here nor there, i tried the td and tr and it still would play right, i couldnt get it to join back together until i deleted the table i had inserted in my content area. is there another plan of action other than attempting to tackle css.

nobody uses framesets anymore do they that would be an option right?

Hmm, not that I can see. But, then again, I don't work with tables unless I am displaying tabular data; as is the purpose of tables.

CSS really isn't anything to tackle; it's child's play. Using CSS, your site's source will get smaller and the site itself will be more accessible. That and the fact that CSS can be used to overwrite any browser's defaults makes it a Web Developer's dream come true (the next dream would be a standards compliant Internet Explorer ). Check out the CSS tutorials link in my signature; you'll see just how easy it is.

Originally posted by Blakice
    nobody uses framesets anymore do they that would be an option right?
    Yikes!! That's not a route I would take, as framesets are more inaccessible than tables.

i just started looking at the link before you responded, heres my first attempt at css www.blakicedesignstudio.com not a good one i tell you, so i decided to start all over starting with the source code, i picked up a few eric myer books, hopefully ill have something to show come sunday

Trust me, it'll be worth it. Also, don't forget to check out CSS Zen Garden. It's there for learning purposes, so they are not going to mind if you nose through the source.

Good luck and happy coding.

Thread Information