www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: HTML Editor w/ template support (not Dreamweaver)

HTML Editor w/ template support (not Dreamweaver)

I've been using notepad for my web programming for 10 years and I don't have any problems with it. However, my latest client asked me to create his page in Dreamweaver so he could continue development once I was finished with the project.

After painfully dealing with all of Dreamweaver's annoying 'features', I couldn't stand the messy end result. I convinced him to let me design the site with web standards and then find him some software that would use a template system similar to Dreamweaver's.

If you haven't used it before, it allows you to create one template, and then create new files based on that template. But the template code is locked and greyed out, allowing the person creating the new page to focus on the content that is being changed, and not the structure of the page.

The problem that I have with Dreamweaver, is that it is constantly trying to rewrite my code for me. Adding useless lines and line feeds that make it unreadable in the end.

Has anyone used a nice program that does this? Or does anyone know how to make Dreamweaver behave?

Thanks
    Phil
    "With your feet on the air, and your head in the ground"

If you have access to a server-side language you could simply include the top and bottom half of the layout structure, here is the source of one of my ASP pages, recent.asp:
    Code:
    <%@ language="VBscript" %>
    <% option explicit %>
    <!--#include file="initiate.asp"-->
    <%
    call top(" &gt; Most Recent Comments")
    %>
    <h2>Coming Soon</h2>
    <%
    call bottom()
    %>
    The first two lines are neccessary for ASP, the third includes a file with many-a-funtion in it. Then a subroutine is called, the arguement is to provide that page with a unique title, then there's an <h2> (that's where any other content would go as well), and finally the subroutine bottom is called.

All pages follow this pattern, here is the index page:
    Code:
    <%@ language="VBscript" %>
    <% option explicit %>
    <!--#include file="initiate.asp"-->
    <%
    call top("")
    call showblogs(newestblogsfirst,blogsperpage,showallblogs)
    call bottom()
    %>
    (Line breaks in the showblogs subroutine added by forum for some reason.)
    I use subroutines to write all of my content in dynamically as it is pulled from a database, however the chances are that your client will just want to add content straight in to the page (similar to what I have done for recent.asp).
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Well it would be nice if all websites we're as simple as top, content, bottom. I do have access to a server-side language, and am well aware of its power.

The page will also be occaisionally run on a laptop without asp so keeping everything in HTML would help.

I would also like to keep the structure of the page locked away from the dozens of students that will be playing with the code. This is where Dreamweaver comes in handy, but the rest of the editor is garbage.

Thanks for the thought though lavalamp..

The search continues..
    Phil
    "With your feet on the air, and your head in the ground"

What don't you like about Dreamweaver? Use it in code mode and it's just a code editor...

Originally posted by PhilgB
    Well it would be nice if all websites we're as simple as top, content, bottom. I do have access to a server-side language, and am well aware of its power.
    I know that most web-sites are a lot more complex than taht, but basically, anything that's greyed out in DW can just be included, simple as that.

Originally posted by PhilgB
    The page will also be occaisionally run on a laptop without asp so keeping everything in HTML would help.
    Do you mean that it will be a stand-alone thing? I'm not sure why the entire web-site would be running on a laptop, but if it is, can't you just configure IIS or Apache or Chillisoft to run the server-side stuff or are there too many laptops to do that with?
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Thread Information