www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Inserting XML formated data into SQL Server

Post Inserting XML formated data into SQL Server

Hey guys,
    I'm a complete newbee to this so any help will be greatly appreciated. Here is my problem.
    I'm working on a project right now that basically involves two systems. One is a PDA and another is a Computer running SQL server 2000. I'm recording job information on the PDA and saving the collected job information in the form of an XML file. I want to be able to insert this data from the XML file on the PDA into my SQL server database on the computer. I have set up the necessary job tables inside the SQL server. I've been looking at OPENXML to extract the data from the XML file but can't really get my head around it. Can anyone give me some basic instuctions on how i can go about this?
    Thank you

Let me understand....you need help to write a program that will read the xml file in the PDA?
    or you want a program to retrieve the data from the SQL server and create an XML file on the PDA?
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Web site: webapplikations.com
    Web Resources Page:Web Resources

Thank you for your reply. My PDA holds job information and saves all the job information in the form of an xml file. I want SQL server on my computer to read this xml file and then insert data into itself.

Ahh ..ok...now thats rather difficult task unless you are well versed in C++ to write a "conduit" which will communicate with your PDA and open a chanel to retrieve the required file from it.Or if you have internet access on your PDA then you might want to look into something like web server for PDA and connect to that server using a client on your PC and download the file and then read the file(this part is prety easy using Java or PHP) and insert it into the database.

Hope this points in a right direction.
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.

I'm not too worried about retrieving the file from the PDA. I was just wondering how i can insert the XML data into my SQL server. Will you be able to give me some instructions regarding this? Thank you.

well that may be beyond the scope of this forum, however, I can try though no promises that how soon I'll be able to return to you with every request...

First of all lets determine which technologies are you using for this purpose?
    Java or any other prgramming language?
    Cheers

Khalid

Thread Information