www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Homestead.com| Banning visitors via IP

Question Homestead.com| Banning visitors via IP

I have a site through Homestead.com - www.MultipleMayhem.com . My problem is that my site is being threatened by a possible hacker/cracker. I have thier IP but can not find a script supported by Homestead that will run on my site to further ban this person from entering via IP. Homestead Technologies say for security purposes that they do not support several file types. Below is a pasted copy of thier file faq's page:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Supported File Types

Imported files can either be used inline (on your pages), or posted for downloading by your visitors.

Inline Files (files that appear on your page)

Currently you can import HTML files (using the Import an HTML File Element), .gif and .jpg image files (using the Import an Image Element), and .au, .aiff, .aif, .wav, .mid, and .midi sound files (using the Import a Sound File Element).

You can also use an FTP client to upload multiple files to your Web site.

Posted Files (files that visitors can download from links)

The Post a File Element enables you to post files on your Web pages which viewers can then download onto their computers.

For security reasons, we do not support the following file types:

Non-supported File Types
    .asa .cdx .dll .jsp
    .asp .cer .exe .pl
    .asptemp .cgi .ffhtml .php
    .bat .cmd .htr .shtm, .shtml
    .bok .com .idc .stm

If you wish to post a non-supported file type on your site, you will need to zip the file using a zip utility (such as WinZip or a similar freeware program) and upload the zip file to your site.

If you find that Homestead does not support a desired file type, please contact our Customer Support department.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Any suggestions on a script that I may run without these extentions or any other solutions on blocking unwanted visitors?

Last edited by SydneyRella; 02-15-2003 at 03:29 AM.

I am sure this is possible, but if it is a hacker, chances are the IP you have could be from a different computer. Suppose he was at the library or something when you got his IP. Also, it could change. Dynamic IP's change everytime you connect to the internet I think.

Your non-supported file types pretty much eliminate the possiblity of banning access to your site by IP.

Here is an easy way to do it in PHP, but I see that won't work for you. Maybe someone else will find it usefull, though.

Rename files using this to .php and insert this code at the very _top_ of the page, before even the <html>
    PHP Code:
    <?PHP
    $ip 
    $REMOTE_ADDR;
    if (
    $ip == "111.111.111.111" or $ip == "111.111.111.111")
    {
    header("Location:banned.html");
    }
    ?>

pyro, is my guess correct? The PHP should be at the very top so that it is analyzed first and none of the HTML loads before the visitor with the forbidden IP is redirected. Otherwise, the rest of the page would load and if the visitor was quick enough, they could hit stop and browse the page normally.

Hacker IP

As for the hacker and his IP, This idiot is an ex of mine. I reconize the IP from old emails and have the whole string of them. Yeah I also tried the PHP file about a week ago, it wouldnt load I have also tried some form I found posted in here but even though it loaded, I tested it with my own IP to see if it would block me, but no luck. Im just confused why stupid Homestead thinks its a security issue to not post these files! I wish I was using a different editor but HS is paid up already! *gggggrrrrrrrrr*

Originally posted by Zach Elfers
    pyro, is my guess correct? The PHP should be at the very top so that it is analyzed first and none of the HTML loads before the visitor with the forbidden IP is redirected.
    Actually, there is another reason. With PHP, headers cannot be sent to the page after other information has been passed. So, if you send you html headers (<html><head> etc.) PHP will not be able to send the header redirect.

ok. I think I understand.

Re: Hacker IP

Originally posted by SydneyRella
    Im just confused why stupid Homestead thinks its a security issue to not post these files!
    Because it is...With all server side languages come security issues...

Thread Information