www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: validating option in dynamic drop-down

Question validating option in dynamic drop-down

Hi All,
    I am creating a form which uses javascript to build a drop-down. The option elements in the drop-down are different depending on which radio button is chosen at the top of the screen.

A person can choose 1 from 4 radio buttons:
    ULI
    PSI
    HR
    SSS

If they choose ULI or PSI, the drop-down is injected with options; if they choose HR or SSS, it is greyed-out because this field is not applicable.

I'd like to do validation when the ULI or PSI radio button is chosen to verify that the user also chooses an option from the drop-down box.

When I added code to the javascript to do this validation, the rest of the validation no longer worked. In other words, it just let me hit submit and forwarded me to the next screen without any validation happening. I don't understand why it would break all the validations.

The code is pretty lengthy so I attached both the javascript file and php page in text format. I had to combine it in one text page because this bulletin board only allowed one attached file.

Any ideas/suggestions?

-Patricia
    Attached Files Attached Files

Okay, the code isn't exactly optimized or anything, but it works. At least it worked for me... Anyway, it's attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Talking

Exuro,
    Can you tell I'm a rookie coder? You're solution worked perfectly ! I am amazed that people (you) could just whip up the right code very quickly.

Thank you so much for helping me!!
    Many good things your way!
    Best, Patricia

The only reason it works is because I thoroughly tested the script before I posted it, otherwise I'm sure there'd have been plenty of kinks in it . But anyway, you're welcome!

Thread Information