www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Access to old forums?

Question Access to old forums?

Well, it's nice that there is a new forum and that it consist of a larger collection, but how do you get access to the old stuff to search and browse it?

Just shuting it down seems a bit wasteful of good resources (for those that actually search for their answer as you should)
    // Stefan Huszics

Yes, you've presented a well thought out and valid argument Stefan; I agree perhaps there should an archive section of the more recent topics from the old boards, although I reckon it would take considerable man-hours to transfer and convert the data.

It's something we would very much have liked to do, but we can't. I'm part of management at internet.com and was one of the people who made the decision to change. Once I invetigated all of the choices, I pushed hard to make the change.

Unfortunately, there is no transition path between the old bulletin board software and this one. That means the old posts can't be converted to the new format.

We investigated it for a long time. We had to make a choice. We could continue with the old software, which we felt was outdated and not the best available. Or we could make what is a pretty radical change, losing a lot of posts as part of the change.

Among the advantages of this new software:
    * email alerts telling you if people have replied to a thread you started
    * faster page display times
    * more flexible structure alowing us to quickly launch new sections if there is a need.
    * customization for members (avatars, bios, etc)
    * the ability to edit a post you've made
    * post counts for members
    * private messaging between members.
    * better searching of the archives

I am happy to see that many members didn't miss a beat and they are already using the new software. I think that means we made the right choice and before long, there will be an archive of messages that you will be just as, if not more, useful.
    - Gus

Um, mayby my post wasn't entirely clear.

The change is good, but there should be some way to reach the old forum(s) in a "read only" way.

I've eg got quite a few links to really good and informative posts on the old forum. Currently there is no way to access that info in any way.

There is not really a need to convert all the old stuff, just keeping the info around as static content would be enough.
    // Stefan Huszics

The day before these forums came down, I had posted something. They should have at least put the old stuff on these forums. I had to redo the post.

That's what I meant when I said there's no transition path. If we could have, we would have.
    - Gus

Hi Gus, I take the point about this forum building up a database of good searchable info but that's a lot of good history to just dump.
    I think the point may be more can you provide the old forum pages in a read-only state somewhere on one of the Internet.com servers that we can bookmark so we can all still look back at them for some of the vast info available.
    I think everyone understands there is no way to port that over to vBulletin but being able to view it somewhere must be possible?

p.s. Woohooo, finally got somewhere to send all our Virtual Dr webmastering questions!
    smurfy
    here to learn.
    'Puter not working right?
    See us at VirtualDr.

So putting a big message on the old boards saying they are used as pure archives, give a link to this place, and have a link to the old place on here so people could view the archives was to must to ask for?

"too much to ask for"?

Unfortunately, yes.

The software that ran that message board is a commercial program and it would require dedicating a server in order to host that software. And that software has a license fee.
    - Gus

Thread Information