www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Setting up a 'points' system for users

Setting up a 'points' system for users

Hi,

I maintain a website for a charity cause and would like to set up a system for promotional purposes.

You may have seen this before:
    The user (visitor A) registers and is given a username. He/she invites a friend (visitor B) to the website with an email which is generated (this has already been set up). The email points B to the registration page where he/she enters A's username as the referrer. A is then credited with a certain number of 'points', and B can then do the same, and so on.

The points add up for different users recruited (and for other things done) and a league table is kept so the winner gets a prize. Each username would have access to a generated page telling them details like points earned, etc.

As I do this in my free time for free, I don't have the time to learn how to create this from scratch, so I was wondering if there are any scripts of any kind that do this or something similar so they can be modified for the purpose? If not how could I most easily go about doing this?

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Well, you'll definatly need to use either flat-files or SQL to store the data for a start and there will need to be functions for people to loggin and stuff so, I suggest you use SQL (Faster)

Have a look at this:

http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/ref.mysql.php

Hope that helps,

RyanJ
    Cheers,

Ryan Jones.

Thread Information