www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where to buy a domain?

Wink where to buy a domain?

I will be glad if you share your impressions of the current cheap domain registrars. I am currently using Joker.com(4+ years). It is relatively small but they always keep the pace of the biggest in the business.
    Share on Google+

Ive heard that www.godaddy.com are good and cheap.

Hope that helps
    Share on Google+

hm, yes I've heard them many times. They look nice but in terms of real behind the scenes handling of a domain, I find joker.com better. If we speak in term of the cheapest one, it is 1&1 but only for the States.
    Share on Google+

1&1 provide services in the UK as well - I don't know about other countries. I run about 10 domains through them, and they are pretty good.

Adam
    Share on Google+

I had a client that had already signed up with godaddy before contacting me to create a site for them and WHAT A HASSLE!
    It's designed for people who is not trained in web design and don't have the need to control their own domain.
    The best place I've found for registrar and for hosting is AIT -
    http://www.aitcom.net/
    Share on Google+

Why would buying through godaddy be any more or less of a hassle? It's just a domain.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by lavalamp
    Why would buying through godaddy be any more or less of a hassle? It's just a domain.
    It wasn't really the domain purchase that was hard but the hosting and bad customer service.
    Share on Google+

GoDaddy

Personally, I love GoDaddy's $8 a year registrations. How much support are you going to need with a domain, yes, they have sucky hosting but use someone else like DreamHost.

I tried their CS (live chat) and they responded to my query in less than a minute...
    Share on Google+

www.easily.co.uk - absaloutley brilliant...
    Share on Google+

What the hell does
    • Masked web-forwarding.
    and
    • DNS A-Name Admin
    included.
    mean?

And what do they mean by
    • 20 email forwarding
    addresses.
    ?

I was rather under the impression that the number of mail accounts available to you had nothing to do with the name and only to do with yer server?
    Share on Google+

Originally posted by AdamGundry
    1&1 provide services in the UK as well - I don't know about other countries. I run about 10 domains through them, and they are pretty good.

Adam
    I use 1 & 1 and they are excellent for all services including domain registration.
    Share on Google+

This is what the terms usually mean, assuming Easily haven't redefined any:

Masked web forwarding - people accessing your domain will get a framed page which redirects them to the real place where your pages are hosted. The location bar URL stays on the first page. This usually is not a good idea.

DNS A-Name Admin - you can change the IP address that most services use when connecting to the domain (except e.g. mail, which uses an MX record instead of an A record). Use it to point the domain at another host's webserver.

Email forwarding addresses - they provide a mail server that accepts mail sent to your domain and forwards it to an address you provide at another host. This saves them from having to give you a POP/IMAP account.

Adam
    Share on Google+

I've been very happy with DirectNIC (http://www.directnic.com). The charge $15/year, which isn't as cheap as some others, but they have excellent customer support and an easily navigable online domain manager. They offer a variety of other services like hosting, etc., which I don't use because I maintain my own servers.
    Share on Google+

That godaddy.com sucks major donkey sausage. I tried buying a domain, filled in the registration details and got nothing but a "You must provide a state" thing. I did provide one though. Not applicable. Y'know, seeing as I'm one of those rare people on this planet that DOESN'T LIVE IN AMERICA!

The only damned option in the SELECT BOX was Not Applicable. How the hell are you gonna miss entering a value into a select box with only a single value that is not null!?

Jackasses.
    Share on Google+

That godaddy.com sucks major donkey sausage
    HeHeHe...

I've found godaddy to be ok, as long as you host elsewhere.
    Share on Google+

Thread Information